Menu

Girl thought Slender Man would hurt family

One of the girls charged with homicide. (AP)

One of the girls charged with homicide. (AP)

A lawyer for one of two US girls accused of stabbing their classmate to please horror character Slender Man has tried to convince a judge to move her case into juvenile court.

He argues his client is mentally disturbed and believed she had to kill to protect herself and her family from the creature.

Taking the stand during the second day of a preliminary hearing, psychologist Deborah Collins testified that she has interviewed the girl several times and concluded she honestly believes Slender Man exists.

‘(Her belief) hasn’t wavered and it’s been unyielding to a rational perspective,’ Collins testified.

Collins also testified that the girl told her she uses Vulcan mind control to keep negative emotions at bay and believes Harry Potter villain Lord Voldemort visits her when he’s not away on business trips.

A private detective working for the defence testified he discovered more than 60 drawings of Slender Man in the girl’s bedroom.

Many of the sketches included notes such as “not safe even in your house” and “he is here always.”

One drawing depicted a girl lying on the ground and a person standing over her with the message “I love killing people” written over the figure.

The detective went on to say he found more than a half-dozen Barbie dolls in the bedroom that had been marked with Slender Man’s symbol.

Some were missing their hands and feet.

According to court documents, the girls told detectives they had been planning to kill Peyton Leutner for months.

They are accused of luring her to a park in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha on May 31 and stabbing her 19 times.

Leutner barely survived; one stab wound just missed her heart.

The alleged attackers were found walking toward the Nicolet National Forest, where they say they thought they would join Slender Man.

All three girls were 12 years old at the time of the incident.

The two alleged attackers face one count of being a party to attempted first-degree intentional homicide in adult court.

They each could face up to 65 years in the state prison system if convicted.

Police detectives testified on Monday that both girls believed they had to kill their friend and join Slender Man in order to protect themselves and their families from his wrath.

Defence lawyer Anthony Cotton is trying to use that to move his client to juvenile court, where she couldn’t be held beyond the age 25.

He contends that since the girl thought she was defending herself a charge of attempted second-degree intentional homicide is more appropriate.

Since the girl is under 18, she would face that count in children’s court.

Judge Michael Bohren declined to rule on anything on Tuesday, asking all sides to submit briefs. He promised to issue a decision on March 13.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsor, Ballina Byron Gateway Airport.