As conditions ease across NSW, emergency crews are hoping residents who were evacuated from a town near Newcastle will be able to return home.
Floodwaters began to subside on Thursday afternoon and crews were hoping to let all residents of flood-affected Raymond Terrace return home by evening, an SES spokeswoman told AAP.
Emergency services in the hardest-hit areas in the Hunter region spent the day delivering assistance to those stranded by the weather and looking at storm damage, she said.
In southern NSW, a rescue helicopter managed to reach around 41 campers who have been isolated by floodwaters since Sunday in the Deua National park west of Moruya.
SES dropped off food and supplies to the campers and would try to get them out when the floodwaters are expected to subside on Saturday.
Off the coast, searches have failed to find 62-year-old Mal Lennon who was swept by a huge wave from a yacht on Wednesday morning and police fear he has drowned.
Mr Lennon, described as an experienced sailor, had been returning south after competing in the Pittwater to Coffs Harbour race.
The rough seas also meant most Sydney beaches remained closed on Thursday afternoon.
Since Monday, the SES has responded to around 2000 requests for assistance and performed 34 flood rescues, mainly in the Hunter Region.