Menu

Man’s death ends siege in Lismore

A man who held police at bay for two days during a siege in East Lismore has died this morning.

A shot rang out just after 7.30am this morning and the 33-year-old man was found dead inside the house in Dalley Street shortly after.

Police had been called to the house about 4.30pm on Wednesday over concerns for the man’s welfare.

Several houses were evacuated and students from Lismore High School were given the day off  as police cordoned off the area around the house in Dalley Street.

A tense stand-off followed as police negotiators attempted to talk to the man, while members of the tactical response unit stood by.

Police have issued a statement saying the man’s death would now be the subject to an investigation, which would be subject to an independent review.

‘All information will be provided to the coroner who will determine the cause of death and make any findings about the events leading to the man’s death,’ police said.

Lismore High School has been closed for a second day as a result of the incident, which police said was not related to the siege.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers.com.au/


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsor, Ballina Byron Gateway Airport.