The NSW government is looking into parole laws after a convicted pedophile allegedly raped a teenager just hours after he was released from prison.
Arthur Alliband, 26, is accused of assaulting the 16-year-old at a western Sydney reserve on the same day he was released on automatic court-based parole for a prior sex conviction.
At an emergency meeting on Wednesday, the NSW State Parole Board revoked Alliband’s parole.
Alliband had been serving time for having sex with a child aged between 10 and 14 after he was sentenced to jail in December 2015, backdated to August 2014.
‘Where a sentence is less than three years, the court sets the date for automatic release on parole,’ a Corrective Service spokeswoman said.
In a recent Law Reform Commission review of parole, a recommendation was made that automatic parole be scrapped.
‘The LRC recommended that court parole be replaced with statutory parole which allows the State Parole Authority to revoke parole or put further or different conditions on an offender before they are released,’ a NSW government spokeswoman told AAP.
She said the state government was currently considering this and other recommendations of the report.
Alliband, who did not appear in court on Wednesday, will next appear at Penrith Local Court on April 29 via video link.
He faces a charge of sexual intercourse without consent and assault with act of indecency.