Menu

Possible MH370 debris taken to Australia

A searcher scans the ocean during the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.  (AFP)

A searcher scans the ocean during the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370. (AFP)

Debris believed to be part of a Boeing 777 jet found off Mozambique is being taken to Australia to be examined by investigators involved in the search for the missing Flight MH370.

Malaysia’s transport minister Liow Tiong Lai said there is a “high possibility” that the piece of debris belonged to a 777 jet but added he could not conclude yet that it was from the missing Malaysia Airlines jetliner.

‘The debris will be taken to Australia for further examination,’ he told Reuters.

The piece of debris was discovered off the east African coast between Mozambique and Madagascar.
Liow said a team of investigators had been sent to Mozambique on Tuesday to inspect the object.

He said Malaysian authorities had sought the help of Australian investigators to secure the debris, as Malaysia did not have an embassy in Mozambique.

Earlier on Wednesday, NBC News reported the piece could be a horizontal stabiliser from a Boeing 777, citing US, Malaysian and Australian investigators who looked at photos of the debris.

Flight MH370 disappeared two years ago when it was carrying 239 people, including six Australians, en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur.

Last year authorities found a piece of the plane’s wing on the shore of Reunion island in the Indian Ocean on the other side of Madagascar.

‘It is yet to be confirmed and verified … I urge everyone to avoid undue speculation as we are not able to conclude that the debris belongs to MH370 at this time,’ Liow said on his Twitte


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsor Byron Community College. ByronCollege-Logo300px