Outdoor lighting, toilet blocks, barbecue areas and minor renovations aren’t usually the stuff of newspaper headlines. But it is these small improvements that oil the wheels of community life and improve facilities for our local cultural and sporting groups.
There is no doubt that the announcement by Ballina MP Don Page yesterday of some $400,000 worth of improvements to local facilities, courtesy of this year’s Community Building Partnership Program, will be warmly welcomed.
Mr Page said there were a large number of applications for the program, which was designed to support community infrastructure projects whilst creating employment.
Big ticket winners include the proposed Bangalow Skate Park, which will now go ahead courtesy of a $60,000 grant, Brunswick Head sports field lights, which will be funded to the tune of $48,000, Lennox Head Rugby Union, which gets a new $65,000 toilet block and storage facility and Wollongbar/Alstonville Rugby Club which will have an all-weather seating area at Lyle Park costing $30,000.
‘Due to the large number of applicants, unfortunately, not everyone was successful,’ Mr Page said.
‘Statewide, funding requests exceeded $152 million, a significant increase over the $118 million sought in the previous program.
‘The funds that have been allocated to the Ballina Electorate will go towards building important community facilities and will be very well received by each organisation in the community. I congratulate all of the successful applicants.’
Below is a full list of grants made in the electorate:
*Ballina Players Inc for stage 2 re-roofing of theatre and construction of an awning $44,578
*Ballina Sports Club Inc for upgrade of clubhouse and toilet facilities and increasing storage space at Saunders Oval $7,430
* Bangalow Anglican Op-Shop for renovations and repairs to historic lichgate in Bangalow $27,500
* Bangalow Historical Society for internal alterations and additions to the existing building $6,000
* Bangalow RSL Sub-Branch for building repairs and construction of a BBQ/meeting area $3,500
* Bangalow Soccer Club for amenity block upgrade $23,242
* Byron Shire Council for the construction of Bangalow Skate Park $60,000
* Byron Shire Council for Brunswick Heads sports field lights $48,000
* Cape Byron Pistol Club Inc for road upgrade work $6,360
* Brunswick Heads Girl Guides for the installation of a security fence and tree removal $10,300
* Lennox Head Rugby Union Club Inc to build a new public toilet block and storage facility $65,000
* Lions Club of Alstonville to purchase and fit out a catering trailer for fundraising activities $ 4,800.00
* Pearces Creek Hall Inc. for internal and external painting of the hall $ 23,940.00
* RSL Lifecare Ltd for the installation of a war memorial feature at Bayside Byron Bay $ 15,350.00
* Lennox Head Scouts for the upgrade of kitchen facilities at the Scout Hall $14,000.00
* Volunteer Marine Rescue for the installation of a lifting
berth at Brunswick Heads Boat Harbour $ 10,000.00
* Wollongbar/Alstonville Rugby Club for the provision of an all weather seating area at Lyle Park $ 30,000.00