7.8 C
Byron Shire
May 17, 2021

Broken Head MO refused

Latest News

Bluesfest announces October dates for 2021 festival

After two disappointing cancelations of their event, Bluesfest has announced that they will hold the 2021 festival over the...

Other News

Tweed residents facing rate rise in 2021/2022 financial year

Tweed residents are invited to provide feedback on their council's budget, revenue policy and fees and charges, as Tweed Council prepares to finalise its delivery program and operational plan for the next financial year.

Interview with Cyprien Clerc, Founder and managing Director of Futureseeds

Founder and Managing Director at FutureSeeds, Cyprien Clerc, talks to The Echo about this upcoming event.

Diverse and resilient

Andrya Hart, The Channon After statements and actions by some Rous councillors, I am left wondering how many refusals to...

A confusion of letters in Ocean Shores

Apparently, there is another Ocean Shores in another part of the world, and they have deer…

Father and son win first sailing race

Sixteen boats competed in the Tweed Valley Sailing Club’s race day earlier this month in a 10-12 knot breeze...

Flickerfest tour returns to the Northern Rivers

Celebrating 30 years in 2021 Flickerfest is bringing its National Tour to The Regent Cinema Murwillumbah for one big film packed this weekend

Luis Feliu

A plan for a seven-dwelling multiple occupancy (MO) on a prime Broken Head property has been knocked back by Byron Shire Council.

The seven owners of the 18-hectare site zoned for environmental protection on Seven Mile Beach Road had sought to boost the number of dwellings on the property from four to seven and the lifting of a ban on buildings outside authorised envelopes.

Spokesman for the Bunjum community which owns the site, Darren Webber, told councillors last week that when the owners bought they land in 1994, a plan for an MO was lodged but council never responded.

Mr Webber said changes to the environmental zonings under the Local Environment Plan (LEP) in 1997 had been ’very restrictive’, allowing only four dwellings and some of the owners had been forced to ’live in tents and sheds’ as a result.

But their neighbour, former north coast MLC Ian Cohen, described the move as ’a land grab’ and he held serious concerns over it.

Mr Cohen said he was not against MOs, but concerns from this one included illegal development over the years and ’severely destructive’ road works and clearing of rainforest trees.

‘The LEP says four sites are allowed, but seven sites is a land grab which has been pushed for many years.’

He said having that many dwellings with a 4.5 kilometres of roads through rainforest areas was ’not sustainable’, and fire authorities had also ruled it out because of the fire risk.

Mr Cohen, the founder of the Broken Head Protection Association, said the area was long regarded as ’one of the crown jewels of the north coast’ and needed protection.

All councillors except Diane Woods voted to ask the owners to amend their plan to provide for four dwellings on the most appropriate building envelopes, deferring the current development application (DA) for the MO till that was determined.

Chief planner Ray Darney said Council could not approve the current DA because some of the existing and proposed building envelopes were illegal and the land only allowed for four dwellings.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Power outage in Byron Shire

Power supply company Essential Energy says that approximately 1,780 homes and businesses were without supply this morning.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Byron Comedy Festival launched with a laugh

At a hilarious sold-out launch of the Byron Comedy Festival, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki had the entire Byron Bay Surf Club giggling last night

School Strike for Climate next Friday

Next Friday from 10am Byron Shire students will be demanding political action on the climate emergency in what they and their supporters say is our present, future and reality.