23.7 C
Byron Shire
March 7, 2021

Make developers pay their dues

Latest News

Police exchange gun fire at Dunoon – man arrested

At a media conference outside the Lismore police station this morning, Acting Superintendent Susan Johnston, Commander, Richmond Police Area Command, said that a man has been charged over an incident at Dunoon last night.

Other News

Senior players triumph at Cherry Street Croquet Club

The experience combination of Joan Campbell (92 years young) and Elaine Astley (89) were able to beat the field and collect a win in the Cherry Streety Twilight Golf Croquet Plate Competition held at Ballina.

Not quite ‘too late’

Desmond Bellamy, PETA Australia Sir David Attenborough, the world’s most famous naturalist, has just addressed the United Nations Security Council to...

Random Mullumbimby breath test leads police to cannabis and ketamine

Police say that a random breath test in Mullumbimby has led to the seizure of cannabis and ketamine.

Heritage Bruns?

David Kolb, Brunswick Head When Mathew O’Reilly spoke to Council regarding heritage listing for parts of Brunswick Heads he was quoted...

Soli becalmed in NSW Pro surf series

Local surfer Soli Bailey has finished in second place at the Mad Mex Maroubra Pro World Surf League Qualifying Series event held at Sydney’s Maroubra beach last weekend.

The amazing world of seeds

Hilary Bain If it wasn’t for seeds and plants, we humans, along with all the animals, birds and insects would...

During the noughties developers pushed against local community wishes and eventually gained approval to subdivide a few rural properties around Main Arm village into ‘Rural Residential’ lots. One major objection to the developments was and is that you can’t get out of Main Arm without crossing one or more causeways.

The worst of these is where Main Arm Road crosses Blindmouth Creek. It’s a low-level single-lane causeway with a blind corner on the southern approach. And you arrive at the site after legally doing up to 100km/h most of the way from Mullumbimby (if the potholes allow). A woman drowned after being washed off that crossing in 2008.

A condition of consent on these developments says they don’t happen till the crossing is upgraded, in height and width. Seems about right to me.

One of the developers is keen to go but doesn’t want to do the upgrade single-handed. They want the condition deleted from the consent. They applied (Section 96 application) to delete it and then waited for a year as another developer chatted with Council about going it alone on the upgrade. That scheme got shelved so the S96 finally came before Council last week. It was refused 6 to 3 – many thanks, councillors, except Tucker, Heeson and Woods.

In the meantime, the same developer has lodged a new S96 to delete the same condition. This may seem like a waste of everybody’s time (and of Council’s resources) but makes sense under NSW planning laws: apparently no appeal was possible because the first S96 got too old but will be possible for this new duplicate.

Readers, please lodge submissions against S96 Application number 10.2008.159.3 (the Davis DA). It’s on exhibition and submissions must reach Byron Shire Council by 2 July.

Personally, I don’t want to be killed by the extra traffic coming round the blind corner. Let’s make the crossing safe before increasing the traffic.

The works may cost most of $1 million. This DA must already pay about a third of that as its Section 94 DA contribution (which is tied to upgrading the crossing). The other two-thirds would be about the cost of two or three of the 22 lots approved on that property. Four are already sold. Why can’t this developer build the crossing and be content with just 19 or 20 lots as profit?

The condition should remain.

Duncan Dey, Palmwoods


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Byron carjacker and stolen vehicle still not found

Police say that a man carjacked a 17-year-old in Byron Bay just before midnight on Friday.

Man arrested after shots fired in Dunoon

A police report says a 63-year-old man man has been arrested following multiple public place shots fired overnight.

Police operation Billinudgel Nature Reserve

Gary Opit, Brunswick Heads On 22 February residents on Jones Road noticed a major police operation with officers from eight police cars and associated dogs entering...

Thanks David Gile – but on Musk

Robin Harrison, Binna Burra I want to thank David Gilet for his appreciation of the thoughts I’ve shared here. It’s very welcome as I’ve been equally...