19.5 C
Byron Shire
May 15, 2021

Keep our doctor, pleads 12yo epileptic

Latest News

Bluesfest announces October dates for 2021 festival

After two disappointing cancelations of their event, Bluesfest has announced that they will hold the 2021 festival over the...

Other News

Ageism alive and well

Margaret Boshier, St Ives I have been spending time in the ocean since before I could walk; I grew up...

‘Seven and a bit’ stone

Stone & Wood are thrilled to announce the return of Festival of the Stone to their Byron-based Brewery, Saturday...

Comparisons

Gareth Smith, Byron Bay Trade Minister Dan Tehan wants to refer China to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) because he...

Interview with Nick Sergi, producer of the Byron Music Festival

Nick Sergi, producer of the Byron Music Festival talks to The Echo.

Diverse and resilient

Andrya Hart, The Channon After statements and actions by some Rous councillors, I am left wondering how many refusals to...

Entertainment in the Byron Shire for the week beginning May 12

Check out what's on going the Byron Shire and surrounding area this week

Luis Feliu

A packed meeting of around 500 people at Mullumbimby last night heard a heart-rending plea by a 12-year-old boy prone to epileptic fits for health authorities not to remove the local hospital’s overnight emergency doctor as it would put him at grave risk.

In his appeal, young Ethan Diehm said it was ‘very worrying’ for him and his mum and dad to know they could be ‘losing our hospital’s overnight doctor’.

‘My doctor says if I have a seizure I need to see a doctor there day or night, and I have to be accompanied by a doctor when I’m being transferred by ambulance,’ Ethan said.

‘It’s very worrying, if next time I have a seizure at night and there’s no doctor there, my mum and dad will be worried.’

He then put a question to Northern NSW Local Health District (NNSWLHD) chief executive Chris Crawford, who attended the meeting to explain the proposed tele-medicine trial for the hospital’s emergency department.

‘Mr Crawford, what if your family was in this situation? We must fight to save our services in the community,’ Ethan said to thunderous applause.

His dad Aaron said when his son had seizures, which could happen at any time of the night or early morning, ‘he needs to see a doctor’.

‘What right have you got, Mr Crawford, to put my family’s lives in danger?’ Mr Diehm, a local builder, asked to loud applause.

The Diehm family’s concerns were echoed by many at the meeting. Comments included ‘delayed care is care denied’, ‘Skype health is no substitute for a real doctor’, ‘this penny-pinching attitude doesn’t make sense: you can’t pick and choose when people get sick’.

Local doctor Liz Elliott, a member of the Save Our Hospital committee, asked, for the benefit of local government minister and Ballina MP Don Page who was sitting in the audience: ‘If we don’t have have a fire for two nights, are you going to close our fire stations?’

Nurses consent

But it was a comment from the chair of the NNSWLHD board, Hazel Bridgett, which was most keenly welcomed by the large crowd.

Ms Bridgett was loudly applauded after she said, ‘we will never go ahead without the consent of nurses, which has always been the case’.

She said the board was ‘very concerned’ about the alarm in the community over the proposed trial, which she emphasised was ‘only a trial at this stage’.

Mr Crawford said public consultation on the pilot (to replace the overnight doctor with a video-conferencing system linked to Tweed Hospital operated by a nurse) was continuing, with last night’s meeting a part of it, and concerns would be addressed.

He presented data to try and justify the trial, saying it showed the hospital’s emergency department was ‘quiet on most nights’ and most patients presented were in the low- to medium-care category.

He said the Connecting Critical Care system had been ‘tried and tested’ at Coffs Harbour and Macksville Hospitals for six months last year with success and it was still being used, but on a doctor-to-doctor basis.

He said the system was currently being rolled out at Tweed Heads, Murwillumbah, Mullumbimby and Byron Bay hospitals and most of the shifts using it were on a doctor-to-doctor basis.

He said that as a result, it was ‘undisputably an enhancement and an extra tool’ for doctors at smaller hospitals to receive advice from doctors at larger hospitals.

Mr Crawford said the new system was ‘not about cost cutting’ but to ‘address a cost blowout’ and it made ‘economic sense’ at smaller hospitals.

Familiarisation

He said both a doctor and nurse would be on shift at night during the trial to familiarise themselves with it.

‘If patient safety concerns can’t be addressed, then the trial on a nurse-to-doctor basis won’t be undertaken’, Mr Crawford said.

Scores of people then raised their hands to ask questions.

Dr Mike Heyning, a local Visiting Medical Officer (VMO), said the system was good as an an extra help for doctors but doctors ‘should not be replaced’.

‘It also doesn’t save any money, just provides better care,’ Dr Heyning said.

‘We’re told it’s not about replacing the overnight doctor but it sounds like an experiment to me.

‘And if that’s the case you’d need informed consent, so who here wants to give informed consent for a trial?’ he asked, but no-one raised their hands.

Mayoral candidate Cr Simon Richardson said he had to take his young daughter to Mullumbimby Hospital the other night and was concerned about the risk if they had to wait to be transferred to Tweed Hospital.

Many people said they moved to Mullumbimby to be close to a small hospital where care could be accessed much more easily than in the city.

One woman, whose brother nearly died recently after going home when a doctor couldn’t see him, said if it wasn’t for a doctor at the local hospital who administered antibiotics, he would have died.

‘Sometimes you need a doctor straight away; it’s not fair for a nurse to receive someone who’s nearly dying’.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Power outage in Byron Shire

Power supply company Essential Energy says that approximately 1,780 homes and businesses were without supply this morning.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Byron Comedy Festival launched with a laugh

At a hilarious sold-out launch of the Byron Comedy Festival, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki had the entire Byron Bay Surf Club giggling last night

School Strike for Climate next Friday

Next Friday from 10am Byron Shire students will be demanding political action on the climate emergency in what they and their supporters say is our present, future and reality.