18.9 C
Byron Shire
August 4, 2021

MP hops on board surf school dispute

Latest News

Youth arrested over Nimbin shooting

A 20-year-old has been charged over a shooting that took place in the middle of the day near the centre of Nimbin.

Other News

NSW Parliament off for a month, with full pay

With COVID-19 cases surging across Sydney and defence forces being deployed in the city, NSW Parliament put out a brief statement last week saying MPs will not sit in the month of August ‘owing to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in NSW’.

SE Queensland’s lockdown and local schools

The South East Queensland three day lockdown, from 4pm Saturday 31 July to 4pm Tuesday 3 August 2021, will...

Railway and rail trail working together

Chris Abraham, Mullumbimby Creek The rail service between Casino and Murwillumbah was suspended by the NSW Government without any public...

Knife-wielding criminal on the loose in Byron Bay

A terrifying media release is still on the loose in Byron Bay after escaping from the computers of Council candidates Rhett Holt and Cr Alan Hunter.  'It is a frightful to wake up at three in the morning to a man blood dripping with a backpack full of knives using your shower,' the [sic] release said...

Adam Liaw at Sample festival: 4 September

Northern NSW’s premier food event, Sample Food Festival is returning to the Bangalow Showground on Saturday 4 September 2021,...

Cartoon of the week – 4 August, 2021

We love to receive letters, but not every letter will be published; the publication of letters is at the discretion of the online and print letters editors.

Hans Lovejoy

The future of the Byron Bay Surf School is down to the wire after Byron Shire councillors failed to address whether additional licences could be granted for operators at last Thursday’s meeting.

And now MP Don Page is urging the council to review its decision, which no doubt adds pressure on staff and councillors to come clean with its tender process.

Echonetdaily reported on 31 July that the Byron Bay Surf School’s tender application was pipped by a competitor who paid three times what other operators offered.

The decision outraged owner/operator Jayme Edwards, who says price was the determining factor and his ten years of local knowledge and flawless safety record were ignored. He now claims his legal advice suggests the request-for-tender process may not even be legal.

Currently there are only four commercial licences and two personalised surf instructor spots available for operators to teach surfing in Byron Shire.

The tender panel that decided Mr Edwards’s fate is not publicly known; however, Echonetdaily understands it to be made up of councillors, staff and members from the Headland Trust and the Marine Park Authority.

Neither are the official scorecard results publicly known for all submitted applications; however, Echonetdaily has lodged a GIPA (Government Information Public Access) application, which is yet to be responded to by Council.

When contacted to confirm his meeting with Mr Edwards, Mr Page told Echonetdaily, ‘I did meet with Jayme last Friday and I think he presented a very credible case, especially given the criteria upon which the decision was supposed to be based. I would urge Council to revisit their decision as it appears the licence fee (money to Council) played a disproportionate part in the decision about who got the licence.

‘Other important criteria appear to have been downgraded or dismissed.’

Mr Page added he will raise the issue with Byron Council when he receives Mr Edwards’s summarised argument.

And despite an external review of the tender process being called by acting general manager Ray Darney, it remains unclear if there will be a tender suspension while external investigations are carried out.

The winning bid was won by Mojosurf, and they will start operating in September unless Council acts before then.

Despite the council’s failure to table the tender issue, fellow Byron Bay surf school operators and elite surfing coach Steve Foreman showed support by addressing Council’s public access last Thursday.

Surf schools speak

Mr Foreman spoke with bewilderment as to how his bid was also rejected despite operating since 2004 and a flawless 32 years’ track record.

He said he helped with the careers of professionals such as Layne Beachley, while also coaching Indigenous kids.

‘We originally designed this policy with Rusty Miller,’ he said.

Gary Morgan from Style Surfing suggested to the gallery that the tender applications were not read correctly by councillors, while Dean Johnston, owner of Black Dog Surfing, asked councillors, ‘Why did it only take four minutes to decide this? Where was the cross-reference?’

Mojosurf’s Nathan Folkes told Echonetdaily, ‘We really need to be careful and address the real issues here and not go on a turkey hunt and start pointing the finger at council, councillors, operators, safety and money.

‘We may just need to be committed to finding a better way with all the energy that is now being thrown around at the subject. Mojosurf are committed to working with all parties to create a best-practice platform for activity operators, communities, the tourism industry and tourists.’

Mr Folkes also proposes a meeting between all parties, ‘where we look at the health of the tourism industry, the challenges to activity operators in NSW – not just in surfing – the current decision and what can be done about it and looking toward a best-practice industry platform for the future.’

Show of unity

Byron Bay Surf School owner Jayme Edwards told Echonetdaily, ‘Watching the existing Byron Bay surf school operators stand together at Council on Thursday and speak their minds about this dubious request-for-tender process was a great show of unity, and demonstrated our deep concerns about a system that can simply wipe out our businesses and livelihoods and raise fears about who will be next.

‘The applause after each operator’s address showed the appreciation from the gallery for our unjust situation.

‘It was disappointing then – and typical of councillors’ apathy – that after hearing all we had to say about this questionable tender process, they had the chance to do something about it and did nothing.

‘And councillors were made aware of the problems already six weeks ago. Cr Simon Richardson had planned to move an urgency motion to bring action to the issue, but the general meeting – conveniently – ran out of time.

‘He now plans to table a motion for Council’s next general meeting on 30 August.

‘He must keep his word.

‘An independent review of the request-for-tender process is underway by Byron Shire Council, but again council hasn’t made transparent who, when and what exactly it will achieve, giving us reason to believe it’s a token effort.’

Mr Edwards added that after meeting with Mr Page on Friday, Mr Page was ‘not impressed with Council’s process and may intervene. He is also considering overruling Council and issuing a stay of proceedings for myself and the other aggrieved operator, Steve Foreman, to allow us to continue to operate while the official council review is underway.

‘This is the usual process in predicaments like this, one that the Byron Shire Council acting general manager, Ray Darney, refuses to concede.’


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

NSW Parliament off for a month, with full pay

With COVID-19 cases surging across Sydney and defence forces being deployed in the city, NSW Parliament put out a brief statement last week saying MPs will not sit in the month of August ‘owing to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in NSW’.

Markets could return to Byron’s Butler St Reserve

Byron’s weekly farmers’ market may return to its traditional home in Butler Street Reserve after detailed soil testing found that the park was less contaminated than was feared.

Push to create transitional accommodation at Lot 22

Should the Council-owned plot of land in Mullumbimby, known as Lot 22, be used for temporary accommodation for those at risk of homelessness, as a matter of urgency?

Sticking to facts

Roger Cotgreave, Byron Bay Thanks to The Echo for reporting scientific facts around the pandemic and not relying on social media ‘research’. Also a big thanks...