Energy is vital to get us up and going for the day and to give us strength to keep going when we need it to put our best foot forward and perform at our peak. It is important to get the right balance; we need enough energy to feed our muscles without increasing our waistlines. Here are five quick tips to give you plenty of energy throughout the day.
Eating for energy without gaining weight
1. Eat regular meals and snacks. Do not skip meals as you will only be hungry later and lack energy later in the day.
2. Have carbohydrate foods throughout the day to give your muscles a regular energy boost. The best carbohydrates foods are wholegrain breads and breakfast cereals, fruit, pasta, potatoes and rice.
3. Avoid sugary foods such as lollies, chocolate bars, cakes and sweet biscuits. These foods may give you a quick high, but it will not last and could drag you down an hour or so later.
4. Include some lean red meats, chicken or fish every day to get the iron source you need to make your blood strong and healthy.
5. Drink plenty of fluids, particularly water, to keep you fresh and focused. Ideally have eight or more glasses of fluid per day. The more activity you do and the more you sweat means the more you should drink.
* Rachel Jeffery is an Accredited Practising Dietitian.