An old Anglican church in Rous that looked like it had passed its use by date will be celebrating its 116th birthday in style tomorrow. And, on Sunday, the public are invited in to see how good the old dame looks.
On 16 March 1897, the St John the Evangelist Church of England was dedicated on its present site, built from locally sourced Australian rainforest timbers including teak, rosewood and red cedar.
But as with so many country churches, the congregation fell away during the latter part of last century and the church eventually closed its doors and was deconsecrated in 1989.
In 2005 local residents Christine and Colin Rijks purchased the church, which by then was in a derelict condition, with the intention of restoring, maintaining and preserving it.
For the first time since it was decommissioned the church received a name – Christine’s Church of the Two Grandfathers.
Its renovation has been an entirely self funded project and now the old church, set in a beautiful rose garden, will have new future as a wedding and reception venue.
Christine’s Church of the Two Grandfathers, at 266 Rous Road, Rous Mill, will open to the public for inspection on Sunday March 17 from noon to 2pm.
For further information contact Christine Rijks on 6628 3858.