An over full gas cylinder leaked at Byron High School yesterday, causing emergency procedures to be activated including the evacuation of the campus for more than an hour.
Acting principal Donna Pearson told Echonetdaily the school’s main gas tank was refilled yesterday morning but in the heat of the day the gas expanded beyond the cylinder’s capacity to cope.
A pressure relief valve was activated, causing gas to start wafting into the classrooms.
‘We evacuated the school and called 000. The Fire Brigade arrived promptly and quickly dealt with the problem,’ she told Echonetdaily.
‘I would like to thank them for their swift response and everyone at the school for co-operating with the evacuation so well.
‘Of course we will be evaluating our evacuation procedures as a result of the incident but everything was very orderly.’
The gas leak, which happened at about 1pm, effectively meant an extended lunch break for the students, who were not let back into their classrooms until 2.30pm.