14.2 C
Byron Shire
May 14, 2021

Anglican bishop quits over abuse claims

Latest News

A hands up poll

Helena Norberg-Hodge and John Page, Byron Bay Hands up everyone who wants another high-end tourist resort in Byron: a place...

Other News

Creative carbon capture

Desmond Bellamy – Special Projects Coordinator, PETA Australia, Byron Bay Last week, the Australian government pledged half a billion dollars for ‘clean’...

Secret footage from Manus detention centre to be screened in Lismore

A thirteen-minute award-winning documentary based on footage secretly filmed inside Australia’s former detention centre on Manus Island is to be screened in Lismore Thursday night.

Ageism alive and well

Margaret Boshier, St Ives I have been spending time in the ocean since before I could walk; I grew up...

Water outage in Ballina this Thursday

Residents on Crane and Owen Streets in Ballina are advised of a planned water outage this Thursday May 13.

Comparisons

Gareth Smith, Byron Bay Trade Minister Dan Tehan wants to refer China to the World Trade Organisation (WTO) because he...

Any questions?

‘This is a great chance for foodies to ask me anything they want’, says local chef Darren Robertson, who...

The Anglican Bishop of Grafton, Bishop Keith Slater, resigned suddenly on Friday over revelations at the royal commission into child-sex abuse that he mishandled decades-old abuse cases at a children’s home in Lismore.

The resignation is being seen as the first major scalp of the royal commission.

One of the victims, a Gold Coast photographer, says he will pursue his longtime bid for justice as a result of his alleged physical and sexual abuse while he lived at the Church of England North Coast Children’s Home in Lismore during the 1950s and 60s.

He claims there were others in the church who also failed to act when they knew what was going on.

The Anglican Diocese of Grafton received a number of claims in 2006 about widespread abuse at the home between the 1940s and 1980s.

The commisssion heard that investigations to support the inquiry had revealed that Bishop Slater, who had led the diocese since 2003, failed to deal properly with the abuse.

The revelations included not referring details of complaints to police, and pressuring complainants to believe they had no options for financial compensation.

Bishop Slater said in a statement, reported by News Ltd, that he was ‘profoundly sorry’ and apologised to those concerned where his actions ’caused hurt and undue distress and pain’.

The bishop said he was ‘relieved that any outstanding matters are now being dealt with through the appropriate channels’.

News Ltd reported that Bishop Slater had for several years resisted claims the Anglican Church was legally liable for the abuse of boys and girls over four decades at the home.

But in his statement on Friday he acknowledged the abuse took place at the hands of ‘staff at the home, visiting clergy, members of holiday host families and other residents’.

Photographer Richard ‘Tommy’ Campion welcomed the bishop’s resignation saying he was pleased but that he ‘should’ve been removed from his position of trust years ago’.

Mr Campion told News Ltd ‘he’s been a thorn in my side, he’s ruined my life’ and that he had written a letter every week for 12 months to the bishop which went unanswered.

Mr Campion said he believed the royal commission would expose the truth about institutional sex abuse and that he did not have much trust or faith in the church.

‘I believe that they have to apologise to the royal commission and to the children, and that way they’ll be forced to finally tell the truth,’ he said.

The commisssion was told the diocese began settling claims with compensation in 2007 but Bishop Slater revealed on Friday that some further claimants, who came forward between 2008 and 2011, were told the diocese was ‘no longer willing to make financial settlement’.

In his statement the bishop said this was in breach of protocols established in 2004 which also stipulated that claims of sexual abuse should have been passed on to a diocese-appointed professional standards director to ensure complaints were managed and investigated in a way that provided support to complainants.

The diocese last night appointed Archdeacon Gregg Ezzy as its administrator.

 

Previous articleDerby the big winner
Next articleCannons doing Dylan

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

MAYDAY – MAYDAY – One hundred years ago today

One hundred years ago this week, around noon on Saturday 14 May 1921, the 2,000 tonne steamship Wollongbar ran aground on Belongil beach.

Development of the Belongil Spit

Jo Faith, Newtown I was gobsmacked when I read that the ‘Greens’ mayor’s parting gift was to aid privatisation of land at the Belongil Spit. Indeed, it...

Michael Lyon elected as Byron Mayor

Owing to the resignation of former Mayor at the end of April, a vote was held today to replace Simon Richardson, until the next election

Locals question placing homes in areas of inundation risk

It is where the community fought off Club Med and it is once again in the spotlight as the current owners, Elements, are seeking to have the zoning of the environmentally sensitive area in Bayshore Drive changed from tourism to residential