9.4 C
Byron Shire
May 15, 2021

Unpopular ambo rosters scrapped

Latest News

Bluesfest announces October dates for 2021 festival

After two disappointing cancelations of their event, Bluesfest has announced that they will hold the 2021 festival over the...

Other News

OCA a ‘diamond in the rough’

Around four years ago a group of like-minded friends started a Syntropic Farm project. Since that time, they have...

Global predicament

Dudley Leggett – Director of Sustainability Research Institute, Suffolk Park Phillip Frazer’s article, (Echo 6 January) is an excellent summary of...

Remembering Bentley

Saturday 15 May is the seventh anniversary of Victory Day at the historic Bentley Blockade, just west of Lismore.

War The Bloody Hell Are You?

When faced with potential conflict, why are we abandoning the strategy that’s worked in the past for one that will definitely fail?

Flickerfest tour returns to the Northern Rivers

Celebrating 30 years in 2021 Flickerfest is bringing its National Tour to The Regent Cinema Murwillumbah for one big film packed this weekend

Linnaeus Estate DA raises concerns for residents

Community concern over the current development application (DA: 10.2021.170.1) for Linnaeus Estate in Broken Head has led to detailed analysis of the DA.

The state’s paramedics are celebrating after the Industrial Relations Commission (IRC) ratified new rosters negotiated by staff and management yesterday.

The Health Services Union (HSU) state secretary Gerard Hayes told the ABC this morning that common sense had prevailed and the ‘draconian rosters’ imposed on rural paramedics by the NSW Ambulance Service last year had now been officially scrapped.

‘The rosters now give paramedics the ability to serve the community, look after their families and address the fatigue issues,’ Mr Hayes said.

The controversial rosters rolled out at 23 rural stations last year, including most northern rivers stations, without consultation, included the use of controversial single-crew ambulances.

David Lipman, industrial officer with the NSW Health Services Union, told Echonetdaily last week that in some cases that could mean getting a police officer or a firefighter to drive, but if paramedics were really desperate they might have had to get a member of the public to drive.

Paramedics claimed the rosters compounded fatigue and compromised patient safety by putting officers on call for up to 16 hours, seven days straight, and were so concerned they threatened unprecedented strike action at the time.

After nearly nine months of negotiations, the commissioner, Justice Roger Boland, ordered the NSW Ambulance Service to return to the drawing board with paramedics and redraft the rosters or face a return to the original rosters.

Mr Lipman said last week that it was essential paramedics be involved in developing rosters.

‘They are the people who know how the rosters work, they’re the people who use the rosters and they’re the people who know how to build a roster – these are the people who actually work in the field,’ he said.

Paramedics said new parameters had been applied to the rosters that achieved a ‘safe working environment, a healthy work/life balance, and savings for the NSW Ambulance Service’, but at the eleventh hour management presented different rosters in a last ditch attempt to increase savings.

The HSU rejected the rosters threatening to return to Commissioner Boland empty handed. The ambulance service conceded and the deal was struck.

Paramedics say they will now look at the Phase 2 and 3 rosters in the hope of applying ‘the same common sense’ to those as well.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Power outage in Byron Shire

Power supply company Essential Energy says that approximately 1,780 homes and businesses were without supply this morning.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Byron Comedy Festival launched with a laugh

At a hilarious sold-out launch of the Byron Comedy Festival, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki had the entire Byron Bay Surf Club giggling last night

School Strike for Climate next Friday

Next Friday from 10am Byron Shire students will be demanding political action on the climate emergency in what they and their supporters say is our present, future and reality.