An 18-year-old Modanville man arrested for damaging the grounds at the Lismore Thistles soccer grounds last week will face charges of malicious damage in Lismore Local Court next month.
A 19-year-old Lithgow man alleged to be his accomplice is also expected to be charged over the vandalism but that is yet to be confirmed.
The 18-year-old was driving a white Holden Rodeo dual cab with his passenger during the spree in which the football grounds were torn up by the vehicle doing ‘doughnuts’.
Goal posts were also damaged.
Police have not impounded the vehicle used in the vandalism.
Security cameras and members of the wider community were able to help police in laying charges.
The vandalism occurred around 12.30am on Sunday July 7.
To repair the grounds, 35 club members had to bring in around $1,000 worth of sand to fill the holes in the turf so games were not delayed.
The club also has to pay for repair of goal posts.
It’s not the first time the grounds have been damaged by out of control hoons and their vehicles.
President of Lismore Thistles Club, Paul Albertini, told Echonetdaily that these are not targeted attacks.
‘I think it is hooliganism and stupidity, kids not thinking about their actions until it’s all too late,’ Mr Albertini said.
‘This kid will now be charged with malicious damage which is a criminal offence, just for stupidity. It’s a costly brain explosion.
‘The wider community have had enough. The outcry when this happened was incredible, the police and the community should be commended for their efforts.’
The Modanville man will face Lismore court on Wednesday, September 2.