13.8 C
Byron Shire
June 26, 2024

School-bus seatbelts: what about excursions?

Latest News

Cinema: Despicable Me 4

With the school holidays fast approaching it’s time to rev up the kids to see the ever-lovable Minions in the first Despicable Me movie in seven years.

Other News

Cars and other items stolen from Brunswick Heads

Local police are warning residents in the Byron Shire to be diligent in maintaining their home security after personal items and vehicles were stolen from Brunswick Heads yesterday.

The 2024 Lismore Eisteddfod will be bigger and better

Organisers of the Lismore Eisteddfod, the Lismore Musical Festival Society, are getting excited about their program for this year’s event. The regular competition venues are still unavailable owing to post-flood repairs continuing for a few more months. So this year the Bangalow A&I Hall will be used for the primary and secondary schools competitions as well as the Speech and Drama competition.

Campers question Ballina Council management of Flat Rock Tent Park

Visitors to the Ballina Shire and the Northern Rivers have contacted The Echo questioning the reason they have been excluded from the Flat Rock Tent Park between Lennox Head and Ballina. 

Emergency tower works stopped

Installation of an emergency services mobile tower on a popular visitor look-out in Wilsons Creek is on hold, after a local NSW MP raised concerns that the area had been misidentified as regrowth.

Martial arts legend to visit Byron Bay

Chan Cheuk Fai will visit Byron Bay to conduct a black belt grading for Jin Wu Koon Karate on Friday, July 5, and a combat seminar on Saturday, July 6.

MP and Cr call for inclusion of social housing in Ballina

Ballina Shire Council will receive $210,000 through the NSW government’s $100 million Resilient Lands Program to help support the delivery of a range of housing options across the Ballina Shire.

Luis Feliu

The NSW government’s move to force school-bus contractors in regional areas to install seatbelts on dedicated school runs and phase out standing has been welcomed by north coast parent groups and lobbyists, but some say more has to be done to ensure safety of students.

In a state first, seatbelts will progressively be installed and standing phased out on almost 1,700 dedicated school services over 10 years, starting this financial year, in a rollout estimated to cost the government around $208 million.

However, buses that run regular services during the day, not only school routes, will not be included in the program, and private buses used for school excursions or events are also excluded.

A north coast-based state councillor for the Federation of Parents and Citizens Associations of NSW welcomed the move, telling Echonetdaily it cameafter many years by the federation of lobbying federal and state governments to ensure the safety of our schoolchildren that endure three to a seat and standing on our school buses’.

‘We will also now advocate for the federation to lobby principals to only use buses fitted with seatbelts on excursions and events and other outings,’ the councillor said

Greens MP Cate Faehrmann, while calling the decision a victory for regional communities who had fought long and hard for the issue, urged the government ‘not to cut corners in the rollout of the scheme’.

Ms Faehrmann, who is now the lead Senate candidate for the Greens in NSW in the upcoming federal election, said it was ‘important the government doesn’t cut corners when it comes to kids’ safety’.

‘They need to ensure all buses that carry school kids along dangerous regional roads have seatbelts fitted. Where there is a will there is a way.’

 

Many miss out

She also said, ‘a lot of buses that school children will still travel on won’t have seatbelts’, as there was a fleet of 3,250 buses in rural and regional NSW that operated on school-bus runs.

Ms Faehrmann also said it was ‘a pity the government hasn’t adopted a faster timeframe of five years’, rather than a 10-year transition.

She said that earlier this year she introduced a private members bill into the NSW Upper House that would have seen seatbelts installed on all regional school buses within five years.

‘The School Bus Safety Advisory Committee costed a five-year transition as well as a ten-year transition. A five-year transition was achievable,’ she said.

Ms Faehrmann said, ‘coaches were required to install seatbelts in 1995, while for cars seatbelts have been mandatory since 1972’.

‘The last thing we should be skimping on is safety for our kids when they’re travelling to school or on school excursions.’

A spokesman for Blanch’s Bus Company, which operates school-bus runs in Byron and Ballina shires, referred Echonetdaily to the BusNSW (formerly the Bus and Coach Association), which had issued a press release saying it looks forward to working with the government on the implementation.

 

Compromise

BusNSW executive director Darryl Mellish said the decision to limit the phase-in to dedicated school buses only (contract A) was ‘a reasonable compromise taking into account the community views, the costs involved of fitting out all of the rural and regional fleet, and the general high safety levels that already exist’.

Mr Mellish also questioned the cost estimates used in the plan, saying his group was seeking more detail on that and other issues ‘to be able to ensure the smooth introduction’.

He said some of BusNSW recommendations to the government included that the seatbelts should ‘always be inertia-reel lap-sash’ type and that the association did not consider it ‘acceptable for drivers to fit any child’s harness during daily school bus operations’.

The announcement, which will affect more than 60,000 students who travel on school buses across the state, was made by minister for transport Gladys Berejiklian and minister for roads and ports Duncan Gay

The ministers said the government would adopt the majority of the recommendations made by the Independent School Bus Safety Community Advisory Committee’s inquiry into school-bus safety in rural and regional NSW.

Other recommendations made by the committee that Transport for NSW will adopt to improve regional and rural school bus safety include:

  •  regular monitoring of new and emerging vehicle safety technologies and, where necessary and appropriate, encouraging their use through regional bus contracts
  •  a new student code of conduct to ensure parents, students and bus operators know their responsibilities when it comes to wearing seatbelts
  • encouraging schools to use buses fitted with seatbelts for excursions and other charters
  • developing guidelines that outline responsibilities for rural and regional bus operators to encourage students to wear seatbelts when fitted
  • developing a standard for designing rural bus stops to improve safety
  • reviewing regulations relating to speed limits around buses when school bus warning lights are flashing
  • exploring new ways to communicate with stakeholders to improve student safety around school bus zones
  • rolling out communication strategies to identify, share and promote good school-bus safety practice.

Full details are available on the School Bus Safety Community Advisory Committee page.

BusNSW says it has sought a meeting with the government over the process involved with carrying out the decision ‘and if the above initiatives have been accepted’.

The association was a member of the Rural and Regional School Bus Safety Committee Advisory Committee and supported its recommendations.

Mr Mellish said that in developing those recommendations, BusNSW raised a number of issues ‘including proper enforcement, poor country bus stops and the need for better training and education programs’.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Do gin and art mix?

  If you’re an artist, and want to win $5,000 for having your art and your name featured on a limited-edition bottle of gin, plus...

The masters of ‘zero to hero’

The masters of ‘zero to hero’ pub rock, The Tenants, are bringing their live show and Aussie humour to Mullum’s Courthouse Hotel for one night only on Thursday, July 4.

Gin with a slice of rainforest

Cape Byron Distillery, the B-Corp certified distillery from Byron Bay has released a gin flavoured with rainforest botanicals carefully selected by the five winning...

Dirty Three with Eleanor Jawurlngali

New expanses to create. New music to share. The legendary trio Dirty Three are coming to The Green Room, Byron.