The northern rivers is bracing itself for the second round of thunderstorms this afternoon after heavy rain and lightning lashed the region last night.
The Bureau of Meteorology predicts severe thunderstorms, likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, large hailstones, and damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations that may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Tenterfield, Ballina, Casino, Kyogle, and south to Yamba, Maclean and Woolgoolga.
The State Emergency Service advises that you should:
* move your car under cover or away from trees
* secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony
* keep clear of fallen power lines
* keep clear of creeks and storm drains
* not walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water
* if you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue
* unplug computers and appliances
* avoid using the phone during the storm
* stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well
* for emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES [NSW and ACT] on 132 500.