When Byron Bay was a whaling town

Whale activist Dean Jefferys, then just over a year old, sees the result of whaling at Byron Bay in June 1959. Image from

Whale activist Dean Jefferys, then just over a year old, sees the result of whaling at Byron Bay in June 1959. Image from

Mary Gardner

‘I saw my first whale this season. They’re early,’ the man says, with a thrill in his voice. The noise of the crowd at the gig drowns out his other words. Suddenly, I fall into a small time warp. Everything goes quiet and I hear again the voice of another, older man.

‘I grew up on a dairy farm on a ridge between Byron and Lennox. We always knew when there was a whale in the Bay. We heard the boom from the harpoon. When they shot one, it echoed all around.’

Photos from the 1950s show crowds of bystanders watching whales hauled up on the jetty. Like now, going to Byron to see whales was a popular outing. Another man tells me of his first visit to Byron back then. He was a child, maybe seven years old.  As he walks up to the body, which was over ten and a half metres long, he sees a man working.

‘He was cutting something. Maybe it was an artery or near the heart. But suddenly blood sprays all over me,’ he says.

Now, years later, the grown man shrugs. He moves the conversation on to another topic.

I read old newspaper clippings and memoirs about whaling in Byron from 1954 to 1962. The fishing fleet had just been devastated by the 1954 cyclone. Whaling employed 60 men.

I stretch my senses and imagine. The noise on the jetty from the crane and the chains. The shouting. The tonnes of dead weight slowly hauled up from the water where large sharks snapped at any part they could still reach. The smell up-close and throughout the town. The heat of the body, which needed to be processed quickly before it began to cook itself.

The men working 12-hour shifts six days a week. They had to be quick and precise. Mistakes would hurt a mate or cost money. Hauling, flensing, boiling down the blubber for oil. Some meat went to families or to the butcher shop. The rest was processed largely for agricultural use.

Out at sea, the crew of the Byron I had to look sharp too. Their ship was run on diesel and their harpoon used explosives. Although mechanised, the work at sea was still hazardous. Shifts went round the clock. There was a quota to meet.

In eight years, 1,046 whales were killed. The Byron work stopped because there was hardly a whale to be found.  Of course, they weren’t the only whalers in the South Pacific in those days. But by 1978, culture changed. Most whaling nations, including Australia, signed international treaties and gave up the hunt.

And the whalemen themselves? One of these veterans of our war with nature was Harry Robertson, who died in 1995. Born a Scot in 1923, an Australian from 1952, he was a ship engineer and worked in the whaling industries of Norway and Australia. He had a natural ear for music. Using the traditional folk style, he sang his own songs of the working life of seamen from Queensland to Antarctica. He helped start the Maleny and Woodford festivals. True as other folk songs about battles, his songs hurt, even as the tune sweeps you along:

The harpoon and the line fly true – bedding deep into the whale,
And she split the timbers of the ship, with a flurry of her tail,
The rigging struts were snapped in two, we reeled beneath the blow…

Heigh-ho ye trawler men come on, forget the snapper and the prawn,
And it’s out of Ballina we’ll sail, a-fishing for the Humpback whale.


For more info about Harry Robertson see his website:

8 responses to “When Byron Bay was a whaling town”

  1. Cherie Tischler says:

    Dear Ed, I lived in Lismore until age 8-9 and would take family holidays to a house in Brunswick. While doing a Byron beach outing one day we came across a huge gathering, a group around the whale tracks, and to our horror the last of the winching was tied off, huge ladders, 3 I think, cast along each side, and men swinging with all their might large axes carving pieces the size of hewn tree trunks or sides of beef. The smell was unlike any I had ever experienced, and tears poured down my face as they do while I write this. That was ’60ish and I left here 2 years later. Returning to live permanently in ’95 I helped set up the Centre at the lighthouse. Memories. I am an Enviro Scientist & try to encourage awareness of vulnerability whenever I can. We all should.

  2. Hi Mary,

    I am a radio producer with nationally distributed community program All the Best. I was very curious and moved by your story, and would love to talk some more about you memories of Byron as a whaling town for an upcoming episode.

    If anyone else has similar memories, please get in touch at ep (at)

    Thanks for sharing!

  3. Scrubby Pete says:

    I bought my Fernvale property off Harry Robertson in 1979. He was a very colourful & deep man. I heard his music. He knew a lot about many things. thanks for the article

  4. m gardner says:

    Thanks for the story. Would like to hear more. Please get in touch.

    • Cherie Tischler says:

      Mary, would be happy to share a lot of history re: this & other things from our area.

      • Doug Kelly says:

        Do you have any photos of the whaling operation in Byron Bay. We have recorded Harry Robertson’s song the Ballina Whalers and are looking for images for a video clip

  5. Cherie Tischler says:

    Jess, can help you with this and many other ‘lifestyle’ activities in the history of our area. C.

  6. m gardner says:

    For readers and those replying above: if you can contribute more info stories about whales, other large marine animals (turtles, dugongs, sharks, dolphins, seabirds and “game” fish) and if you have North Coast fish tales — please email me in the first instance mgardner{at}

Leave a Reply to Scrubby Pete Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers.