It is with alarm that the residents of Byron Bay read in the local papers that our ALDI supermarket has applied for a liquor licence.
1. Byron Bay is already flooded by an oversupply of liquor outlets putting us consistently at ‘number 1’ for the most violent place in the state.
2. Byron Bay ranks ‘number 1’ for DUI offences for the last 15 years.
3. The other supermarkets will try to do the same if this goes through.
4. The Byron police are already run off their feet with alcohol-related domestic violence incidents, so much so that if called for a noise complaint from an out-of-control holiday let, they will say they are too busy with domestic violence calls.
5. Byron residents and visitors struggling with the overconsumption of alcohol will be offered wine at 50 per cent cheaper and beer at 30 per cent less. Is this fair for the residents and others in Byron Bay? Is this what we want in our society?
Please do not allow this to go through!
Lorraine Ward, Byron Bay