15 C
Byron Shire
April 18, 2021

Children tested after playing with ‘junkie needles’

Latest News

Flawed plan

Kai Beijerbacht, Mullumbimby For those of you who haven’t been living under a rock, I’m sure you are aware of the...

Other News

Local girls go big at Oz grom cup

Byron Bay’s Leihani Kaloha Zoric won her second Billabong Oz Grom Cup title, taking out the 10-and-under girls division at Park beach in Coffs Harbour last weekend.

Report and recommendations – First Nations people in custody

High, but not high enough, on the country's human rights agenda is the issue of Aboriginal deaths in custody.

Red Cross offers additional bushfire grants

Australian Red Cross is opening a final round of support grants for people affected by the bushfires who are suffering extreme financial hardship.

Exactly how was the ship stuck?

Peter Olson, Goonengerry It is well known that The Echo does not publish fake news, so since the Australian media...

Interview with Jean Kittson

Comedian, writer, and social commentator Jean Kittson has the ability to distil complex ideas into commonsense. Jean is one of the national treasures in conversation with Mandy Nolan and Fiona O’Loughlin at No Eggs for Breakfast, a comedic chat themed around life beyond fertility! It seemed remiss not to ask Ms Kittson on her take on the debacle that is federal politics and gender equity.

Essential businesses recognised

A sticker initiative, to say ‘Thank you’ and support local retailers’ doing it tough is adorning Mullum shops, owing in part to efforts by resident Angela Bambach.

Eve Jeffery

In a perfect world, all public toilets would have syringe disposal boxes.

Then again, in a perfect world, we wouldn’t need them.

Horrifically, it is not a perfect world for a trio of youngsters who found a bunch of used syringes in a public toilet in Mullumbimby last week. They and their parents now have to wait an agonising six months to see if they have been infected through needle punctures acquired while playing with them.

One of the boys’ mothers contacted The Echo in the hope of at least warning other parents about the dangers in the hope they will educate their children and avoid the trauma that she is going through.

The woman, who wished to remain anonymous, said that the boys, aged 11 and 12 years, were playing in the toilet behind the IGA when they found the syringes above the sink. They had no clue as to the potentially deadly nature of the needles and began to play with them – her son was definitely stuck by a needle and the other boys are not sure.

Traumatised

During the visit to the hospital, all three lads were made aware of the possibilities and all left severely traumatised.

The mother says now it is a six-month wait and hope that the next batch of tests come back negative.

She says she has spoken to police who have told her that the particular toilet the boys were in was a well-known haunt of needle users.

‘They were very supportive and I had three different officers ring me’, she said. ‘They told me they cannot understand why Council has not provided disposal units in the facility.’ She says the police told her she should go to Council and demand action. ‘When I went to Council to make them aware of the situation and ask why there were not sharps boxes installed, they were quite dismissive. They said that if I felt strongly about the issue I should lobby councillors.’

Council replies

Director of Council’s infrastructure services, Phil Holloway, said, ‘To date, there has not been a problem with needles at the [Station St Mullumbimby] carpark toilets. The toilet block is cleaned twice daily and is locked at 5pm each day. Following the reported incident, the toilet block will be assessed to consider a sharps bin being placed in the building.’

Mr Holloway urged the community to immediately report to Council if needles are found lying on the toilet ground. ‘Our staff are trained in the correct way to dispose of needles and the needles should not be touched by anyone from the public,’ he said.

The woman says she just wants parents to be aware of the dangers and educate their children. ‘My advice is to have that conversation with your children. Needles are a very real and deadly issue. If there was a box in there, three families would not be in the middle of an horrific nightmare now.’


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Affordable myth

Patricia Warren, Brunswick Heads There is a ‘myth of affordable housing’ in Byron Shire. Well may councillors lament the lack of ‘affordable housing’ in Byron Shire but...

Midwife quits

Deb Walsh, Fernleigh It’s become untenable for me to continue working in hospitals. I have quit. I will be deregistered soon by my own choice. Working with...

Common courtesy

Anonymous, Byron Bay First of all, thank you to those customers who did the right thing and wore their masks in hospitality venues on the weekend. However,...

Poor Council drains

Kate Anderson, Mullumbimby In response to and support of Kerry Gray’s and Robin Gracie’s letters Echo 31 March). The McGoughans Lane blocked drains are the tip...