15 C
Byron Shire
October 17, 2021

Search resumes for missing surfer at Cape Byron

Latest News

Let’s get real

AFL Aussie Rules Grand Final in Western Australia... Rugby League Grand Final in Queensland... Melbourne Cup in Tasmania?    Margaret Keating,...

Other News

A concrete solution to carbon capture

A newly developed concrete – made from recycled construction waste and industrial exhaust gases – could reduce construction emissions.

Radiance Kitchen

Congratulations to Dexter and Linda, operators of Radiance Kitchen, who are celebrating their tenth anniversary of selling the region’s...

Can we inoculate against the racism virus?

Like many others, I watched with interest the recently screened ABC documentary, The School that Tried to End Racism.

Gold Coast woman charged over fake COVID medical exemptions

A Gold Coast woman has been charged by Queensland Police for allegedly pretending to be a doctor and issuing...

New regional film traineeship program brought to you by… Netflix

Is it a genuine offering of support for local film talent, or a thinly-veiled attempt by Netflix to manufacture some positive news following its locally-loathed TV series Byron Baes?

Thanks Frank Mills

We had lost our highway protest, but during those colourful marches we had the beginnings of a stronger sense...

[Updated July 21, 8:00am] Hopes are fading for 19-year-old Irish surfer Stuart Butler, who disappeared in heavy swells off Cape Byron on Saturday. Mr Butler remains missing nearly 48 hours later, despite widespread searches for him, and police fear he has drowned.

Two other men were rescued in the same incident on Saturday and several other surfers were rescued yesterday.

A multi-agency search including Surf Life Saving NSW, Brunswick Volunteer Rescue Association and planes from Australian Search and Rescue had to be abandoned yesterday owing to bad weather and high seas.

Searching is set to commence again this morning but police say they are moving into ‘recovery mode’.

Nick Zammit from Brunswick Valley Rescue told Echonetaily, ‘Yesterday we did a few vertical drops down the cliff faces that were hidden from view from sea and air – to no avail.’

‘Today police plan to bring in some divers, weather permitting, and we’re doing scouts up and down Main Beach, Belongil and Brunswick Heads beaches,’ he added.

Mr Zammit confirmed that at this stage searchers were looking for a body.

Surf Life Saving NSW’s Jimmy Keough told local media conditions were ‘treacherous’ and would need to improve before his volunteer searchers could go back out in the water.

He also warned other surfers not to risk the heavy weather, saying several other rescues have had to be performed in the same area over the weekend.

Mr Keough said nothing more could have been done to save the missing man as police and life savers were on the scene ‘within ten minutes of the original call’.

‘Yesterday we [covered] a large search area extending to the north and we had the assistance of aerial assets… including one fixed wing aircraft and three helicopters, so we covered a large amount of area,’ he told ABC radio this morning.

But he added that with weather continuing to be poor, little hope was held for finding the man alive.

‘We’re seeing a bit of an improvement today… and our assets will be back on the water,’ Mr Keough said.

[Original report] The Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter, police, volunteer rescuers and ambulance paramedics were called to the site around 10.45am Saturday morning (July 19) after the three surfers were swept around the point from Byron Bay.

Volunteer Rescue Association members and officers attached to Byron Bay Police Station commenced a search and rescue effort for the missing men.

According to an onlooker, three surfers were trapped on the rocks below the lighthouse.

‘One has clamboured onto rocks and one has swept around the point,’ she told Echonetdaily on Saturday.

A NSW Ambulance spokesperson said paramedics had been called to Tallow Beach Access Road, near where the three surfers were in difficulty.

Police said a 26-year-old man was assisted from the water and did not suffer any injuries.

‘A short time later, a 20-year-old man was located on rocks and was assisted from the area by rescuers. He was assessed by ambulance paramedics and had sustained only minor injuries,’ the police spokesperson said.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Mandatory vax

I write to you in response to the article on the front page of The Echo relating to mandatory vax. I find it extremely...

End the cult

A military conflict between China and the USA would very likely result in global nuclear war, a major setback to human civilisation and possibly...

Hundreds queue to have COVID test and two new cases in the NNSWLHD

Northern NSW Local Health District (NNSWLHD) is urging people to continue coming forward for testing and vaccination after two further COVID-19 cases were reported in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, October 14. 

Charges after cars damaged in police pursuit – Coffs Harbour

Police say a man has been charged following a pursuit, where a number of cars – including an unmarked police car – were sideswiped on the Mid-North Coast yesterday.