Two more charged at Gloucester CSG site

[Update 2pm:] A further two men have been charged this morning while attempting to lock on to a work vehicle at a protest near an AGL coal seam gas site in Gloucester. This follows two arrests yesterday.

According to a police report, at about 6.40am today (October 28 ) officers from Manning Great Lakes Local Area Command arrested the men  aged 29 and 26, attempting to lock on to the vehicle at the main gate entry on Fairbairns Road where a number of protestors were gathered.

Police arrested the men, before the lock was secured.

The men were taken to Gloucester Police Station and charged with wilfully preventing free passage of vehicle.

Both men are expected to appear in Taree Local Court on 15 December 2014.

[Original report:] Officers attached to Manning Great Lakes Local Area Command were called to the site around 5.30am yesterday after report of protest activity.

Police found two men had allegedly illegally accessed the site.

The pair, aged 37 and 44, was arrested and charged with trespass.

They have been granted conditional bail and will appear at Taree Local Court on 11 November 2014.

Police said in a statement that the first priority for NSW Police was public safety. ‘Protesters have the right to safely protest within the boundaries of the law,’ police said.

‘Equally, the rights of citizens to hold peaceful assemblies is balanced with other rights, including the undertaking of lawful business activities, and the safety and security of the broad community and those working on the site.

‘Police will balance the needs of all parties involved, while maintaining law and order.’

Meanwhile, farmers, environmentalists, Indigenous and religious leaders are expected to rally outside coal mining company Whitehaven’s annual general meeting in Sydney today.

The protesters include representatives from the Gomeroi people, Greenpeace, and an amalgamated religious group.

Protesters have for months been agitating at several Whitehaven sites across NSW and in September members of the Leard Forest Alliance said every open-cut mine in the Gunnedah basin, including Maules Creek, had been shut down because of their action.

Whitehaven said the claims were false.

One response to “Two more charged at Gloucester CSG site”

  1. Rachel says:

    Why has there been NO news on the Fiasco court hearing of last week we’ve been waiting for since July?? A tremendously important event, whether one is for or against the Rosella mine – and nothing? Nada – no court reporting, no follow up – whats going on ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers.