I’m addressing this email to all Byron Shire Council members. The condition of Water lilly park is disgusting.
We are in the middle of school holidays. Parents can no longer take their kids into the park because of the safety factor as I’ll outline below.
* The grass is above an adult’s knee height, young children can’t walk thru as in some areas it’s above chest height.
* The high grass extends to the edge of the lake. There is a possibility that some young child will fall into the lake and drown.
* There is a potential snake problem.
* Fallen palm fronds have been stacked when they should be removed. Again, an invitation for rats, snakes and other vermin
* Local people are cutting the grass which ajoins their property. Are they covered by councils’ insurance should they or someone passing be injured?
* Someone from the council came out prior to Christmas and mowed around the kids play area, tennis court and a number of trees. Why wasn’t the rest of the park mowed?
I’m prepared to get legal advice on council’s obligation to maintain a safe environment in which we can feel secure when using this and other parks within the shire.
Ian Mcleod, Ocean Shores