A man has been charged with murder after his father died during one of two alleged home invasions at his South Murwillumbah home last year.
Michael Anthony Martin, 46, was murdered in the early hours of Friday 13 June 2014, at his unit in Quarry Road, South Murwillumbah.
It was the second time Mr Martin had been targeted during a home invasion, after he and another man were seriously injured at the same unit in April 2014.
Mr Martin was brutally hacked to death and partially decaptitated inside his unit in South Murwillumbah, in far north-east New South Wales. The 46-year-old had been home for less than 24 hours after spending months in hospital to recover from a previous attack, where he was brutally bashed and stabbed in the eye.
Just a week ago, Mr Martin’s son Michael Martin Jnr held a press conference at Murwillumbah police station to ask for help in identifying his father’s killer.
He claimed at least one person broke into his father’s unit in Quarry Road in the early hours of Friday June 13, attacked him and tied him up, then killed his father.
An axe was later found near his father’s body.
Mr Martin said he couldn’t identify the perpetrator.
“I could just hear the noises of my father being killed,” he told media.
“It was just terrifying, I never expected that I’d see my wife or children again.”
Strike Force Areae – a joint strike force between State Crime Command’s Homicide Squad and Tweed/Byron Local Area Command – was established to investigate the murder.
After a nine-month investigation, detectives conducted a number of search warrants in Esk, Queensland on Saturday.
Mr Martin’s 25-year-old son was arrested at Tweed Heads and has now been charged with his murder.
He was been refused bail and will appear at Lismore Bail Court today (Sunday).
In February, Jessica Honey Fallon, 21, faced Parramatta Local Court charged with attempted murder and assault occasioning grievous bodily harm over the April attack on the elder Mr Martin and another man at the same unit where he was killed.