Labor’s local hero Saffin returns to tackle Page

Former ALP member for Page, Janelle Saffin.

Former ALP member for Page, Janelle Saffin, is not giving up, announcing she will contest the seat of Page at next year’s election.

Former Page MP Janelle Saffin is returning to politics to try and wrest back the seat she lost to the National Party in the last federal election.

The popular Labor politician, who held Page for six years, says she’s driven to regain the seat by the passion she has for the region and its communities.

This morning Ms Saffin will unofficially launch her comeback campaign by two public appearances in Lismore accompanying federal shadow minister for vocational education Sharon Bird.

At 10am at Lismore TAFE Ms Bird and Ms Saffin will speak at Lismore TAFE, where staff and students are concerned about dramatic cuts to staff and courses and the sell-off of campus buildings which have sparked continuing protest.

Then at 4pm the two will speak at the Skills and TAFE Forum at the East Lismore Bowls Club.

Ms Saffin, who was defeated at the 2013 election by the Nationals’ Kevin Hogan, told media she was prepared for a tough campaign ahead of next year’s election.

‘I’ve done it before, three times, it’s never an easy task so I take nothing for granted but my commitment and passion for our region, our area, all the things I’ve worked for and all the things I’ll continue to work for, drive me to want to do this,’ she told the ABC.

Ms Saffin defeated Mr Hogan at the 2010 election, but then suffered a 7.2 per cent swing against her in 2013.

6 responses to “Labor’s local hero Saffin returns to tackle Page”

1. Joe Monks says:

Behind you all the way Janelle.

Could never understand the swing to Nats in 2013. Now they have shown their true colours people surely won’t vote for them again.

If Coalition gets into power next year say goodbye to medicare, free education, pensions and equal opportunity. Malcolm Turnbull will take us further down the path to an American style democracy. A mean, sterile society living on fast food and Mickey Mouse.

Go Janelle!

• Joe Monks says:

Bruce,

I see your point. Democacy is a loose term often abused by profit takers to mask their intent.

Wealth for the few at the expense of the under-educated, disabled and less fortunate.

2. Liz says:

Welcome back Janelle – so very glad you have made this decision (I’ve missed you). Trust you to start off again from the most important place – TAFE (we need that teaching institution re-built as soon as you can manage it please). Hope that Federal Labor continues to present a unified & policy centred front (and heart space) – you won’t need any luck if those in Canberra behave (totes shoe in – just remember the water trigger and keep the CSG miners out of Page please – you are our only hope in this regard now Barnaby has nicked off with the Water Portfolio).

3. bruce prior says:

@Joe, You have it wrong………. America does not have a democracy. Shown by the fact that the people who get elected are the ones who spent most money to get there.

It would be a lot more efficient if they held a “candidate auction” and gave the job to the highest bidder. That way the electorate have no need to vote. Outcome = congress business as usual & Productivity of the sheeple is raised!

case rests!

4. David says:

Go Janelle – what a team that will be again, along with Justine Elliot!

5. Len Heggarty says:

I was walking, reading the paper and I saw a tern on the beach as I turned the page.
    Turning on my heel I read that “Janelle Saffin is returning to politics”
    That needs some ticks.
    Janelle could return to us to do us a good turn in Page. I turned the page again onto another page at that stage I had just spied another tern on the beach.
    Way back in time in history Douglas Macarthur said: “I shall return.” That quote was a page-turner.
    And in modern times Arnold Schwarzenegger said: “I will be back.”
    Janelle, I am sure you will be welcomed back on your return to Page.