The federal government would consider any strategies that would prevent further shark attacks off Australia’s coast, following the death of teenager surfer Laeticia Brouwer.
‘In light of the recent shark attack the Commonwealth would welcome any proposal to protect human life first and foremost,’ federal Environment Minister Josh Frydenberg told the West Australian.
This could include culling or introducing new drumline technology.
The new Labor state government said on Tuesday it would not deploy drumlines to try to catch the shark responsible, which is believed to be a great white.
‘We made it clear in opposition that we don’t see the merit in automatically deploying drumlines because they don’t actually make our beaches any safer,’ Fisheries minister Dave Kelly told reporters on Tuesday.
Mr Kelly said the new Labor government wanted to promote individual shark deterrents and hoped to announce a new policy in the next few weeks.
Last year while in opposition, Labor proposed a $200,000 subsidy scheme for personal shark deterrent devices.
Under the plan, 1000 devices such as Shark Shield would be available with a $200 state government subsidy.
Fatal shark attacks appear to have increased significantly in the state’s waters.
Of the 24 known deaths in WA in the past century, 14 have been since 2004, including two in the same week last June.
Laeticia, 17, died from massive blood loss after she was attacked on Easter Monday by the shark while surfing with her father while on a family holiday in Esperance.
Kelp Beds at Wylie Bay remains closed until further notice and fisheries staff will continue water patrols.