25 C
Byron Shire
October 16, 2021

Bali prosecutors accept Sara Connor term

Latest News

Let’s get real

AFL Aussie Rules Grand Final in Western Australia... Rugby League Grand Final in Queensland... Melbourne Cup in Tasmania?    Margaret Keating,...

Other News

Man wanted on outstanding arrest warrants – Mullumbimby and Central Coast

Police are appealing for public assistance to locate a man wanted on outstanding warrants who may be working around Mullumbimby and Central Coast.

Holy pandemonium

Driving around Northern Rivers roads at all but 5kms – it’s a bloody nightmare. The other week I had...

Lismore landmark saved as Skimmo’s site DA knocked back

Lismore residents watch avidly last night as the drama of a development application for 135 Union Street South Lismore, played out on their little screens.

COVID-19 update in Northern NSW

From 8 pm yesterday, 12 new cases of COVID-19 have been detected in Northern NSW. Nine cases have been identified...

Zoran Radovanovic and son enter guilty pleas after sending region into lockdown

The father and son from Sydney's eastern suburbs who sent the region into lockdown by bringing COVID to Byron, have pleaded guilty to some of the charges against them.

Bias

Congratulations on more ridiculous and biased coverage of the protests last Saturday. Rather than objectively report on the march, you...

Sara Connor, from Byron Bay.
Sara Connor, from Byron Bay.

Indonesian prosecutors say they will not seek any further jail time for Australian woman Sara Connor over the death of a Bali police officer.

After initially being sentenced to four years in March, last month Bali’s High Court increased her term to five after prosecutors argued the initial term was “too light”.

Prosecutor Agung Jayalantara said on Monday that they would not appeal the judgement and seek a further sentence.

In increasing her sentence last month, judges criticised the 46-year-old mother from Byron Bay for not making “any effort” to help local police officer Wayan Sudarsa after he became embroiled in a fatal struggle with her British boyfriend David Taylor on Kuta Beach in August 2016.

‘The defendant left behind the victim and did not make any effort to help the victim even though she knew the victim was still laying facing down,’ they found.

She has until June 9 to appeal the increase in her sentence, Mr Jayalantara said.

The five-year term is less than the eight years prosecutors called for her and Mr Taylor to serve over the fatal assault in company but more in line with the six-year term the British man is serving.

Their trials heard how Mr Taylor confronted Mr Sudarsa over Connor’s lost wallet, sparking a fight that would result in the police officer’s bloodied body being discovered in the early hours of August 17, with dozens of wounds.

Both Connor and Taylor’s trial heard it likely took Mr Sudarsa hours to die and that had someone intervened, the police officer’s life may have been saved.

Connor maintains she did nothing but try to separate the pair, but the judges in her trial found she effectively pinned Mr Sudarsa down at one point during the melee.

The pair later destroyed personal items belonging to Mr Sudarsa and burned the clothes they were wearing on the night of the assault.

Connor’s sentence includes time already served and does not take into account remissions for good behaviour.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Mandatory vax

I write to you in response to the article on the front page of The Echo relating to mandatory vax. I find it extremely...

End the cult

A military conflict between China and the USA would very likely result in global nuclear war, a major setback to human civilisation and possibly...

Hundreds queue to have COVID test and two new cases in the NNSWLHD

Northern NSW Local Health District (NNSWLHD) is urging people to continue coming forward for testing and vaccination after two further COVID-19 cases were reported in the 24 hours to 8pm last night, October 14. 

Charges after cars damaged in police pursuit – Coffs Harbour

Police say a man has been charged following a pursuit, where a number of cars – including an unmarked police car – were sideswiped on the Mid-North Coast yesterday.