9.3 C
Byron Shire
July 31, 2021

Funeral services approved for Lismore’s ‘Eat Street’

Latest News

Shooting in Nimbin

There is a police operation currently underway in Nimbin following a shooting earlier today.

Other News

Saddle Road land snapped up for $10m

A picturesque property in Brunswick Heads that was once slated to become an eco-village may become a light industrial precinct after the owners sold it to a developer for $10 million. 

Local Labor

Asren Pugh, Labor candidate for Mayor Labor has a very long and proud history as part of the Byron Shire community...

Zero

Andrew Macklin, Mullumbimby Creek Gareth Smith (July 14), I can see you like the selective use of historical facts and statistics...

Why the rush?

Sara Rath, Goonengerry I was born in Byron Bay and I am deeply concerned for the known and unknown impacts of...

Interview with Felix Riebl from the Cat Empire

One of the most danceable outfits in the lineup, The Cat Empire make a welcome return to Bluesfest 2021 with their infectious, genre-embracing anthems and a world-class, awe-inspiring show. Last week Seven caught up with co-founder, band leader and principal songwriter, Felix Riebl, from his lockdown hidey hole in Melbourne.

Opportunities aplenty for young rugby standout

Ross Kendall Mullumbimby 16-year-old, Raife McKenzie, is a rising star rugby player who has had a big year after winning...

A funeral parlour was established in Lismore's CBD and now the proponents want to hold services. (file pic)
A funeral parlour was established in Lismore’s CBD almost two years ago and now the proponents will be allowed to hold services. (file pic)

The Lismore City Council has approved an application from a funeral parlour in Magellan Street to hold up to 50 services a year despite concerns that the business was not suitable for the area.

Back in 2015, the council approved an application for the funeral home in the old  Gundurimba Shire Council building in Magellan Street, which is widely regarded as Lismore’s ‘Eat Street’.

Following concerns from nearby traders, councillors decided that no actual funerals would be held in the building, but would instead be held off-site.

The proponent then had requested only 30 services a year.

On Tuesday evening however, the councillors voted unanimously to approve an application to alter funeral parlour’s operating conditions to allow for 50 services, with each private family service having a maximum capacity of fifty (50) people.

The application stated that the services would be for family and close friends, would be attended by invitation only, there would be no public advertisements of the service and that there would be no procession of cars following a hearse after the service.

Lismore mayor Isaac Smith said although there were ‘a few concerns expressed’ the decision was unanimous.

‘It’s been operating for over a year with viewings and families coming and going and there have been no complaints so it didn’t seem to be an ongoing issue,’ Cr Smith said.

Cr Smith said the modified consent would be reviewed in two years and could become permanent so long as the funeral home complies with the terms of the consent.

Conditions include that the funeral parlour must keep records of the number of private family services held at the subject premises each calendar year and the number of people that attend.

Also, no funeral services are to be held outside the approved hours of any approved weekly markets or other scheduled and lawful events undertaken in Magellan Street.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Knife-wielding criminal on the loose in Byron Bay

A terrifying media release is still on the loose in Byron Bay after escaping from the computers of Council candidates Rhett Holt and Cr Alan Hunter.  'It is a frightful to wake up at three in the morning to a man blood dripping with a backpack full of knives using your shower,' the [sic] release said...

Independent assessment needed to determine use of Alstonville aquifers

The Save Alstonville Aquifer Group have raised concerns regarding the potential impact on the aquifer of making it part of the Rous County Council...

Dog off-leash parks coming to Tweed

Tweed Shire Council is seeking feedback from the community on off-leash dog parks at Bray Park and Banora Point. ‘The draft concept plan for John...

Byron businesses buckle down

The Greater Sydney lockdown has had a direct impact on local businesses who have seen a dramatic fall in customer numbers, particularly in Byron Bay.