Menu

Lismore man on trial for alleged murder ‘in sight of hospital’

A photo outside 37 Uralba St Lismore where an alleged murder took place in December 2014

A photo outside 37 Uralba St Lismore where an alleged murder took place in December 2014

A Lismore man is standing trial in the Supreme Court for the alleged December 2014 stabbing murder of a man on Uralba St within sight of Lismore Base Hospital.

The trial of Birri Morris began on Monday at Lismore before Justice Stephen Campbell.

Supreme Court trials are held at Lismore when the facilities are available, as it costs Justice NSW less than paying for numerous witnesses and legal practitioners to travel to Sydney and be accommodated.

Mr Morris and 56-year-old Nicholas Roberts were at a party on Uralba St on the evening of December 21, 2014, police said following the incident.

Inspector Nicole Bruce told media police will allege 27-year-old Mr Morris and Mr Roberts, who were both known to each other, left the party about 6.30pm and a serious assault occurred.

It was alleged Mr Roberts suffered a fractured skull with severe brain hemorrhaging, a fractured right arm and fractured left shoulder, as well as a stab wound to the back as a result of an incident between the pair.

Emergency services were called while Mr Roberts lay in a critical condition outside the Uralba St premises, within 250 metres of Lismore Base Hospital.

He was treated at the scene before being airlifted to Brisbane’s Princess Alexandra Hospital in a critical condition.

Mr Morris was arrested at the scene and taken to Lismore police station where he was charged with attempted murder and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

He was refused bail and remanded in custody.

For almost two weeks, Mr Roberts fought for his life in intensive care until he died in hospital on January 2, 2015, at 7.40pm.

When detectives went to interview Mr Morris about the incident they found he had been transferred to the Metropolitan Reception and Remand Centre’s Mental Health facility.

On January 27, 2015, the charge of attempted murder against Mr Morris was upgraded to murder.

The trial, which is set down for two weeks, continues today.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this week's sponsor Vast Ballina and Falls Festival