17 C
Byron Shire
May 15, 2021

Mowing down child sexual assault

Latest News

Bluesfest announces October dates for 2021 festival

After two disappointing cancelations of their event, Bluesfest has announced that they will hold the 2021 festival over the...

Other News

Remembering Bentley

Saturday 15 May is the seventh anniversary of Victory Day at the historic Bentley Blockade, just west of Lismore.

Locals question placing homes in areas of inundation risk

It is where the community fought off Club Med and it is once again in the spotlight as the current owners, Elements, are seeking to have the zoning of the environmentally sensitive area in Bayshore Drive changed from tourism to residential

Water and the dam

Dr Roslyn Irwin, Caniaba An organisation called ‘Our Future NR’ is distributing and promoting information intended to put the Dunoon...

Water outage in Ballina this Thursday

Residents on Crane and Owen Streets in Ballina are advised of a planned water outage this Thursday May 13.

Deep listening and housing ideas under Mullum’s fig trees for Renew Fest

Around a hundred presenters, musicians, other artists and community activators plus a bumper crowd of punters all came together under the fig trees at the Mullumbimby Showground over the weekend for Renew Fest 2021.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

71-year-old Claude Harvey pushing his mower through Bangalow. Photo Jeff 'Green Grass' Dawson.
71-year-old Claude Harvey pushing his mower through Bangalow. Photo Jeff ‘Green Grass’ Dawson.

Australia’s million-dollar mowerman, 71-year-old Claude Harvey, was pushing his customised lawnmower through Mullumbimby on Thursday and Bangalow on Friday as part of a 14-day ‘mowerthon’ to raise awareness for Bravehearts – Australia’s leading child protection charity.

Claude has just cracked the $1 million mark after ten years of hard mowing as he raised both funds and awareness around child sexual assault.

He started his latest mow-down on Thursday, November 14, which will take him 1,200kms from Murwillumbah to Toowoomba that will see Claude pushing his trusty customised-cutter through 12 towns from northern NSW to the Darling Downs in QLD, visiting places like Casino and Goondiwindi.

‘I’m looking forward to getting back out on the road and raising funds to help Bravehearts prevent child sexual assault,’ says Claude.

‘My plan is to raise another $1million to help educate, empower and protect children from this

crime and to also raise awareness. My mower and I create a fair bit of attention and I’m grateful for all the support and well-wishes I get from the generous people I get to meet along the way. They encourage and inspire me to keep going.’

Claude’s efforts has resulted in him trudging through 86 pairs of his trademark sandals across more than 25,000 kms of the Australian landscape – from Hobart to Hamilton, Bundaberg to Biloela and everywhere in between – he’s been everywhere man.

Born in Kempsey, NSW in 1945, Claude became an active and dedicated Bravehearts volunteer after reading news of a sex offender who was arrested for sexually assaulting a child – a crime that will affect one in five Australian children before they turn 18.

When two family friends disclosed that they had also been sexually assaulted, Claude vowed to do everything possible to make a difference in the lives of victims.

Since then, this super senior has become a hero to thousands of kids, with supporters turning out wherever he ‘mows’.

‘People are supportive and always keen stop for chat, donate some money and take a few pictures with me and my famous lawnmower,’ says Claude.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Power outage in Byron Shire

Power supply company Essential Energy says that approximately 1,780 homes and businesses were without supply this morning.

Filming of Byron Baes begins with no indigenous consultation

Filming of the Netflix series Byron Baes has reportedly commenced without any effort made by the show's production company – Eureka Productions – to consult with local indigenous groups or the local Council.

Byron Comedy Festival launched with a laugh

At a hilarious sold-out launch of the Byron Comedy Festival, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki had the entire Byron Bay Surf Club giggling last night

School Strike for Climate next Friday

Next Friday from 10am Byron Shire students will be demanding political action on the climate emergency in what they and their supporters say is our present, future and reality.