A man has died in NSW’s New England region as the result of a suspected brown snake bite.
The 24-year-old was rushed to hospital but died within an hour of being bitten on the finger in a backyard at West Tamworth on Wednesday night, according to Fairfax Media.
A report will be prepared for the Coroner, a spokeswoman for NSW Police told AAP on Friday.
It’s believed the man was bitten by the snake as he tried to move it away from a family pet.
Brown snake venom is among the most potent in the world and the reptile is responsible for more than 60 per cent of snake-bite deaths in Australia, according to the University of Melbourne.