Plenty of Australia’s best axe-men and -women will be at the Brunswick Heads Woodchop Carnival with two national titles up for grabs when the competition gets underway next weekend.
All up more than 90 competitors including men, women and children have already registered, Joy Slater, secretary of the Brunswick Valley Woodchop, said.
‘Once again some of the best axemen in the world will compete; they are regulars year after year,’ she said.
Three of Australia’s best including Brad de Losa, Mitchell Argent and Brayden Meyer will all be at the event.
Brad came second in the individuals event at the Stihl Timbersports World Championships held in Lillehammer, Norway, last November.
The three all competed as part of Australia’s five-man team that came second at Lillehammer after holding the title for three years.
Two National Australian titles will be decided during the event including the 275mm underhand and the 375mm standing block events.
As usual there will also be a strong women’s contingent at the Brunswick event.
‘The Brunswick Heads carnival has been supportive of the development of the women’s competition; with the women keen to defend their titles from last year we can expect a keenly competitive few days from the good field of women who have nominated,’ she said.
This type of support has been crucial to the recent development of an Australian qualifying Women’s Championship, Joy said.
The event at Brusnwick draws competing families from across Australia and this means that children and drawn into the event as well, she said.
‘We hope that locals and visitors alike will come to witness these men and women at their chosen sport and encourage the young boys and girls to strive for their own recognition,’ Joy said.
The 58th Brunswick Heads Woodchop Carnival will take place in Banner Park, January 18–20, 2018 and is a free event.