Menu

Police involved in violent Byron Bay arrest to face public hearing

The NSW police watchdog will hold a public hearing next week to determine whether or not the officers who forcefully arrested a naked, 16-year-old youth in Byron earlier this year engaged in ‘serious misconduct’.

But some locals are questioning why the hearing is taking place in Sydney, which effectively prevents the community from seeing justice done.

In a statement released to the media on Wednesday, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission said the hearing would take place on March 26 at the Commission’s Sydney officers and run for ‘a number of days’.

‘The general scope and purpose of the hearing will be to investigate whether any NSW Police Force officer involved in the apprehension, detention or treatment of a 16-year-old male at Byron Bay in the early hours of 11 January 2018 engaged in serious misconduct,’ the statement said.

The forceful arrest of the youth came to public attention on February 6 when Channel 9’s A Current Affair broadcast CCTV footage of the incident.

It shows an officer repeatedly striking the youth with a baton while three others hold him down.

In a statement to the media NSW Police said the police had been called to the lane by residents at around 2.30am and arrived to find the youth, who appeared to be affected by drugs or alcohol, lying naked in street.

Police said the teenager then became aggressive, necessitating the use of capsicum spray.

The youth then allegedly attempted to assault the officers and was tasered, police said.

Many Locals took to social media after the footage was aired to express their anger over the behaviour of the police involved.

In response to the LECC’s decision to hold the hearing in Sydney, local youth advocate Nicqui Yazdi has launched a crowd funding campaign so that she and a number of other community representatives can attend.

‘We are urgently seeking funding donations in a hurry for airfares, airport transfers and expenses to enable representatives of the Byron Community to attend the public forum next Monday,’ Ms Yazdi said.

‘At the very least youth leader James Wright and I would like to attend this hearing on behalf of the Byron community and to write a report on the proceedings to bring back to the people of Byron who have been desperately seeking answers to how this incident occurred and how the initial internal police investigation was conducted..’

To contribute to the campaign go to www.gofundme.com/get-byron-reps-to-police-hearing


3 responses to “Police involved in violent Byron Bay arrest to face public hearing”

  1. Peace says:

    It will be a white-wash, err, blue rinse of the facts.
    Police are never held accountable.

  2. Luke says:

    Why don’t the release the names of the police involved? If a member of the public is charged with something like this they would have their names released to the media (even if they were later found to be innocent).

    Why do police get this kind of special treatment when they are committing crimes?

  3. Jeremy Nanson says:

    Good point Luke.
    Perhaps they have a history of it and the Police don’t want that known or perhaps it’s just standard protocol?
    Or they just had a bad day at the office and a bit of a cover up attempt?
    It happens to most of us.
    Difference being most people aren’t intrusted to protect the community and carry pepsicum spray,tasers and guns.
    Not to mention a force in numbers.
    I can understand bashing a rapist or a terrorist but a naked 16 year old?????
    While your co workers hold them down.

    What a tough guy!

Leave a Reply to Luke Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers.