Menu

Calls for Adelaide’s Archbishop Wilson to resign

Archbishop Philip Wilson leaves Newcastle Local Court, in Newcastle after sentencing, Tuesday, July 3, 2018. The Adelaide Archbishop has been found guilty of concealing historical child sexual abuse. (AAP Image/Darren Pateman)

ADELAIDE, AAP – The Catholic Archbishop of Adelaide is facing unprecedented calls from across political arena to resign as he prepares to challenge his conviction for concealing child sexual abuse.

Philip Wilson, 67, is the most senior Catholic official in the world to be found guilty of such a crime and was earlier this week sentenced to 12 months in jail with a six-month non-parole period.

He’s now going to appeal his conviction for the offences committed in the Newcastle region between 2004 and 2006 and plans to resign only if that fails.

But South Australian Premier Steven Marshall has joined Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and federal Opposition Leader Bill Shorten in calling for Wilson to resign immediately.

“He’s been convicted, he’s been sentenced. I think it’s untenable to remain in that position,” Mr Marshall The Advertiser on Thursday.

NSW Police Minister Troy Grant, a former police officer who was involved in investigations into child abuse in the Maitland-Newcastle area in 1995, said the sentence handed to Wilson was “appalling”.

“This is no deterrent as a sentence, it’s appalling, the children deserve better, the victims deserve better, and the community do,” Mr Grant told 2GB Radio.

Wilson is in line to potentially serve his sentence in home detention, pending the appeal proceedings.

Wilson was in May found guilty of failing to report to police the historical sexual abuse of two altar boys by a pedophile priest after a landmark magistrate-only trial in Newcastle Local Court.

Wilson confirmed on Wednesday he would lodge an appeal to the NSW District Court.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

 

Become a supporter of The Echo

A note from the editorial team

Some of The Echo’s editorial team: journalists Paul Bibby and Aslan Shand, editor Hans Lovejoy, photographer Jeff Dawson and Mandy Nolan

The Echo has never underestimated the intelligence and passion of its readers. In a world of corporate banality and predictability, The Echo has worked hard for more than 30 years to help keep Byron and the north coast unique with quality local journalism and creative ideas. We think this area needs more voices, reasoned analysis and ideas than just those provided by News Corp, lifestyle mags, Facebook groups and corporate newsletters.

The Echo is one hundred per cent locally owned and one hundred per cent independent. As you have probably gathered from what is happening in the media industry, it is not cheap to produce a weekly newspaper and a daily online news service of any quality.

We have always relied entirely on advertising to fund our operations, but often loyal readers who value our local, independent journalism have asked how they could help ensure our survival.

Any support you can provide to The Echo will make an enormous difference. You can make a one-off contribution or a monthly one. With your help, we can continue to support a better informed local community and a healthier democracy for another 30 years.”

Echonetdaily is made possible by the support of all of our advertisers and is brought to you by this weeks sponsor, Vast and Khentrul Lodro T'haye Rinpoche