12.6 C
Byron Shire
May 23, 2024

Mullumbimby household saved from fire by smoke alarm

Latest News

Kinship Festival returns Saturday 25 May to Murwillumbah

The Kinship Festival – a free North Coast cultural festival led by First Nations people – will be held in Knox Park, Murwillumbah on Saturday, 25 May.

Other News

Hundreds of DV arrests across state

Police have charged more than 550 people during a four-day operation targeting the state’s most dangerous domestic and family violence offenders.

Dance for Brazil

The Mahico and Aruanda crews are joining hands to invite the entire community to be a part of Dance for Brazil – a day to flood Brazil with support, this Sunday in Byron Bay.

Is Kyogle Council misrepresenting changes to Private Native Forestry approvals?

The Kyogle Environment Group has challenged Kyogle Council’s presumption thatapplying for a Private Native Forestryplan from both Local Land Services and Council ‘essentially duplicates the assessment’.

Causes of death

There’s been a lot of talk about an epidemic of violence against women lately, including Dr Ray Moynihan’s article...

Bimbo Jimbo

For Treasurer Jim Chalmers to say that it was ‘simpler’ to just give everyone the energy rebate of $75...

Pickleball takes Alstonville by storm as new courts open

Alstonville now boasts tournament-standard pickleball courts that opened to an enthusiastic crowd and players last Saturday despite the rain.

NSW Fire & Rescue unit at the scene of last night’s (July 4) fire in Mullumbimby. Photo NSW Fire & Rescue

It started out as a small fire in an ordinary electric stove cooking dinner at an Argyle Street residence at around 6.20pm last night (Wednesday, July 4).

And it could have got a whole lot worse.

Fortunately, the occupier was alerted by a smoke detector and quickly turned off the stove, cutting off the source of the flames.

A spokesperson from Fire & Rescue NSW’s Mullumbimby station said, ‘Upon arrival, we rapidly assessed that no one was injured and that the house was not on fire.

‘We checked the house and it was clear that the electric stove/oven had some issues.’

He added it was ‘a timely reminder to keep your smoke detectors charged and take the proper precautions for fire during the winter period’.

Visit the NSW Fire & Rescue’s winter safety webpage for a complete checklist.

 


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

St Helena Tunnel, Ewingsdale – changed overnight traffic conditions 

Essential maintenance at the St Helena Tunnel will be carried out overnight on the Pacific Motorway at Ewingsdale from Monday, 27 May.

First Nations job seekers in Casino foot in the door to career

Trying to find something you might be interested in doing is always a challenge and local Casino barber Michael Day has come on board to help Aboriginal job seekers the chance to kick start a career in the hair and beauty industry.

Primary care nurses supported in community

Health services, particularly GP services, have been stretched over recent years and new funding to support nurses and build their capability as primary care...

Goonellabah Skate Park overhaul to start next week

New ‘skate elements’ to be introduced have reportedly been designed by skatepark specialists Trinity Skateparks, with input from ‘local enthusiasts’.