Hogan will quit government if Dutton becomes PM

Nationals member for Page Kevin Hogan has announced he will sit on the crossbench if Peter Dutton becomes prime minister. Photo AAP Mick Tsikas

Page federal MP Kevin Hogan (Nationals) says he will quit the government and sit on the crossbench if Peter Dutton becomes prime minister.

Mr Hogan said in a statement released this morning he ‘cannot condone…this constant rotation of Prime Ministers by both the Labor Party and the Liberal party’.

‘I am announcing today, that if there is another leadership spill for the position of prime minister prior to the next federal election, I will remove myself from the government benches and sit on the cross benches,’ he said.

‘I have made this decision because my community is fed up. What we have been seeing in Canberra with leadership changes over the last 10 years, is letting our great country down.

‘This is not about Peter Dutton, Malcolm Turnbull or Kevin Hogan, it is about the office of prime minister.

‘I remain 100 per cent committed to delivering for my community. I remain committed to the National Party.

‘If this occurs, I will still attend National Party meetings if invited. I will not attend Coalition Party Room meetings.

‘I will support the government in no confidence motions and supply. Any other legislation I will take on a case by case basis.

‘The model I intend to follow is similar to what the Western Australian National, Tony Crook did.

‘I will continue to focus on what my community has sent me here to do. I thank them for their overwhelming support,’ Mr Hogan said.

9 responses to “Hogan will quit government if Dutton becomes PM”

1. Rossco Phillips says:

Wow … a politician who shows some guts and integrity !!!

• C. Seabrook says:

You’re kidding. Kevin Hogan; the “clayton’s” independent. Will he resign from the Nationals? No. This gesture would be just grandstanding and as empty of substance as the last couple of days in Canberra. Bring on the election so we can ge a functioning MP in a functioning government; Patrick Deegan.

2. Jon says:

No loss to the govt. Hogan’s done nothing of note for his electorate anyway, other than snow us with fridge calendars and Xmas cards.

3. Liz L says:

Feeling the pulse of his electorate perhaps?

4. Stew Prins says:

There’s one pretty big problem with this story: according to another news outlet Kevin Hogan has already backflipped and now says he will NOT resign from the Nationals or the Coalition. And this morning he sat with the Liberals and voted to shut down Parliament. So his original statement was all a hoax.

5. Ben Redding says:

You have no right to sit on the crossbench unless you quit the Nats, which is in government with the Libs. I’d be more impressed if the Nats ended the coalition agreement and they all sat on the crossbench. Until then, it’s just spin

6. Wanderer says:

Grandiose empty gesture, he’s still going to vote with the LNP on everything. Doesn’t matter where he sits, same ineffectual lack of action.

7. Carol says:

If Mr Hogan supports the government in no confidence motions and supply he supports the government. He is not listening to us at all but trying to make it look to those of us who do not understand what those supports mean that he is on our side. This is very disappointing.

8. Little wheel spin & spin as ‘the big wheel turns around & around.’
    Buffy Sainte-Marie [Cree Indian] must have seen this coming.