26.1 C
Byron Shire
February 25, 2021

Young journos’ voices to be heard at ‘The Junction’

Latest News

‘Hollywood’ drug squads over the top

I guess we have to thank Hollywood for the enduring myth that a black-clad squad of elite 'blokes', preferably with cool helicopters, from the capital are needed to crack down on really serious crime in hick parts of the country like Mullumbimby.

Other News

Byron police assault trial could attract human rights law analysis

Northern Rivers policeman accused of youth assault to continue facing trial.

Cavanbah centre gets a taste of 3×3 basketball

The Byron Beez basketball team in collaboration with the U League hosted a 3x3 tournament at the Cavanbah centre at the end of January that attracted 30 teams.

Jaimini hut

Margot Hays, Bangalow I would like to voice my opinion regarding the hut structure at Belongil where Jaimini sits and...

Tweed mayor and rail trail

Richard White, East Ballina I watched a Facebook video of Mayor, Chris Cherry, addressing a meeting, organised by the Northern...

Research takes the vegan option to a new level

A project by Flinders University will see their Centre for Marine Bioproducts Development fishing for new vegan ideas.

‘ATO’ scam wants every last dollar in your account

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) is warning about a spike in automated scam calls impersonating the ATO and asking people to transfer all their money to another account.

Journalism students from Southern Cross University in action

Paul Bibby

Our budding local journalists are sharing their work with the world through a new platform for public interest journalism and storytelling.

The Junction, which launched yesterday (October 24), is a showcase for the best student journalism across the country, and students from the Lismore campus of Southern Cross University are right in the thick of it.

The Junction provides students at smaller and regional universities an opportunity to engage with other journalism students, and provide space for regional and rural issues on a national platform,” Southern Cross University’s Journalism Lecturer, Jeanti St Clair said.

“Our Digital Media and Communications degree has always worked hard to provide meaningful real world authentic experiences and portfolio development pathways for our students, and The Junction is another great example of such an opportunity.”

The editor of The Junction, Dr Andrew Dodd said The Junction had a novel publication model.

“All of the member journalism programs are able to publish direct to the platform rather than through a central commissioning and gatekeeping process,” said Dr Dod, who is the Director of the Centre for Advancing Journalism at the University of Melbourne.

“The publication provides a platform for universities to work together on projects and to cover issues and tell stories in new ways.

“Together we can do so much more than any one university can working alone. The students and staff of Australia’s university journalism programs make up the biggest newsroom in the country.’

The Junction is owned and published by the Journalism Education and Research Association of Australia (JERAA) on behalf of Australia’s journalism programs.

To check out the site, go tot http://junctionjournalism.com.

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.