Tweed mayor Katie Milne has suggested Tweed Council may consider boycotting contractors who work on the new Tweed Hospital site opposite Kingscliff TAFE.
Sale of the site, at 771 Cudgen Rd, Cudgen, to NSW Health went through last week.
Controversy continues to dog the new hospital site after the Tweed Daily News reported the vendors wanted more than $30 million for it and sought a Supreme Court injunction on Friday to prevent the state government compulsorily acquiring the land.
Case thrown out
But Justice Fagan threw out the case on the grounds that it was ‘doomed to fail’ as the government had ‘followed the correct and appropriate processes in making genuine attempts to acquire the land through negotiation with the landowners,’ a spokesperson for NSW Health Infrastructure said.
Tweed MP Geoff Provest (Nationals) announced yesterday (Monday, November 5) that ownership of the site had transferred to the NSW Government on Friday, (November 2) and that preliminary works were set to commence immediately.
‘The start of preliminary works is evidence of the NSW Government’s commitment to delivering this state-of-the-art major referral hospital to meet the urgent health needs of the Tweed-Byron community and the growing demand for these services,’ Mr Provest said in a statement.
Around 100 protesters attempted to block the site on Monday morning to prevent contractors’ vehicles from gaining access.
Cr Milne, who joined the protest, said she would investigate the possibility of boycotting local companies that undertook construction work at the hospital.
Mr Provest, meanwhile said the government was also going to ‘address a number of community concerns that have been raised around the safety and capacity of the surrounding road network, such as: upgrading the Tweed Coast Road/Cudgen Road intersection; and improving the safety and design of the Turnock Street roundabout.
‘Health Infrastructure will work with Tweed Shire Council and other authorities on the design and early delivery of these upgrades. All works will be undertaken with relevant approvals and are not related to the State Significant Development application currently on public exhibition,’ he said.
At time of publication, Mr Provest had not responded to Echonetdaily’s request to confirm the sale price of the land, which is understood to be between $4m and $15m.
Echonetdaily has asked further questions of Mr Provest and Cr Milne but has yet to receive responses.