14.3 C
Byron Shire
May 26, 2024

Fire at Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre

Latest News

Surfing on the spectrum – free fun for everyone at Lennox and Byron this Sunday

Ocean Heroes will be giving children who are on the autism spectrum the chance to experience what it is like to be in the ocean on a surfboard this Saturday at Lennox Head and Sunday in Byron Bay.

Other News

St Helena Tunnel, Ewingsdale – changed overnight traffic conditions 

Essential maintenance at the St Helena Tunnel will be carried out overnight on the Pacific Motorway at Ewingsdale from Monday, 27 May.

Editorial – Optics vs reform

One of the more hyped elements of last week’s federal budget was a $300 handout to every homeowner to alleviate the increase in energy costs.

Shh – it’s Secret Bridesmaid’s Business

It is the very eve of Meg’s wedding – her mother is fussing over every detail and her best friends are doing little to help. The wedding is the gala event that Meg has dreamed of since she was a girl and one that has taken far too long to come true. But, anything that can go wrong does until the veil is lifted on an unhappy secret, and Meg’s dream is rocked by a revelation she doesn’t want to be true.

New witnesses in long-running kambo inquest

Proceedings reopened in Byron Bay Courthouse yesterday in what is expected to be the final stage of the long-running coronial inquest into the death of Jarrad Antonovich.

Housing: too important to leave to private market

It saddens me every time I get to the back of The Echo and see all the real estate...

National Volunteer Week honouring locals who give back

Tweed Shire Council will use National Volunteer Week to celebrate the significant contribution volunteers make across the Tweed, and to spotlight those who selflessly give back to the community.

Emergency services are on-site containing a blaze at the Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre in Wyrallah Road.

Lismore City council sent out a media release early this morning as a warning to residents who live near the facility, asking locals to stay indoors today as a fire that was discovered in the early hours of this morning, continues to burn.

The fire is burning in green waste piles and the Materials Recovery Facility where plastics are processed.

Smoke could potentially be harmful to people with respiratory or lung problems, and residents within the area that can smell or see smoke are urged to stay indoors with windows and doors closed or use a respirator if going outside.
Residents should turn off heating and cooling systems if these draw air from outside.

The current windy conditions are causing the smoke to be blown in an easterly direction at present. People with pre-existing health problems, heart or lung conditions (including asthma), children, pregnant women and older people are more sensitive to the effects of breathing in smoke.

People with asthma who can see or smell smoke can collect free respirators at the Bunnings trade desk by showing ID with a residential address within or around Lismore.

Community members are advised to avoid the area if possible.

Fire crews are working to contain the blaze within the Materials Recovery Facility immediately. Fire crews have advised that the fire could smoulder for up to a week within the green waste piles.

The Lismore Recycling & Recovery Centre is closed until further notice.
Council says they will provide an update at 9am on Monday, 12 August or as the situation changes.

Previous articleBeware of 8G
Next articleThe drought goes on out west

Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

4 COMMENTS

  1. MONDAY 12th August
    We live up up in Goonellabah. I wasn’t aware of this situation till I smelt smoke when putting washing out this morn. I initially thought it was a neighbour’s combustion stove, then as it grew stronger, maybe a bushfire. I could suddenly smell toxic fumes. My partner told me he’d seen news in the Echo on-line about the tip fire. I’ve taken the washing in & shut all doors & windows. The smell is quite overpowering. My throat is burning & I’m using my asthma puffer.
    Be careful all you wonderful firies!!

    • Same here. Up in Goonellabah too. My husband works near bunnings so im getting him to pick up respirators just in case. Me and 2 of our kids are asthmatic and only just getting over the flu. Last thing we need ? hopefully its contained soon and all involved stay safe.

  2. Good one how could this have happened
    We have the best practises in place and the green waste has ignited the plastics
    We are not allowed to have onsite incinerators at our residence if we due burn off at home we can be fined
    Yet the council has this happen
    what a joke Lismore city Council
    No wonder you want to put the rates up to pay for massive blunders like this
    What next

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Wardell landowners asked to support fire ant eradication

Nearly 900 Wardell properties require treatment for fire ants, but the eradication team needs permission from each landowner.

The Darling Muffs of May need your help to reach fundraising target

Raising money to support frontline services for women who are homeless or at risk of homelessness has been the driving force behind the Darling Muffs of May’s fundraising this year.

Why does Iron Gates developer get another bite at the DA?

Locals, concerned residents and other parties were left in the dark for the first 15 minutes of the Iron Gates (Goldcoral Pty Ltd) Land...

Death and Dying expo May 25

On Saturday May 25, a free Death and Dying expo will be held at the Mullumbimby Civic Hall from 10am-2pm.