By: Allison Henry
Executive Officer, Northern Rivers Food
The Northern Rivers Food 2020 Harvest Festival is just three months away!
A celebration of the Northern Rivers amazing growers, food and beverage producers, chefs and restaurants, the 2020 Harvest Festival program is jam-packed with events across the region from Friday 1 May to Saturday 9 May 2020.
The Festival kicks off with a special Opening Event at the Stone & Wood Byron Bay brewery, where guests can enjoy Australia’s number one beer, Pacific Ale, along with delicious local BBQ offerings from the 100 Mile Table team.
The Harvest Trail returns on Saturday 2 May and Sunday 3 May – a self-drive experience where locals and visitors can pop in to our region’s farms, and food and beverage producers, and have a behind-the-scenes look at how the ingredients of their food and drinks are grown and produced. Wander amongst rows of coffee trees, visit an avocado orchard, pick and sample produce straight from the garden and learn about sustainable and organic farming practices. There’ll also be opportunities to take part in special workshops while on the trail… chocolates, cocktails anyone?
Northern Rivers Food are really excited that this year’s Festival includes events all over the region, with NRF members designing special Harvest menus featuring the finest of local fresh produce – breakfasts, lunches and dinners – from Evans Head to Casino, to Kyogle, Byron Bay and all throughout the Tweed.
Just some of the not-to-be-missed festivities that form part of the 2020 Harvest Festival program:
• The return of Brookfarm’s abundant long-table Harvest breakfast.
• Breakfast at the stunning Beach Byron Bay, where sustainability will be the focus.
• A community feast at Barrio, Byron Bay.
• Moorish Feast cooking workshop with Open Table Cooking School.
• Table Under a Tree’s expert-led tour of the culinary delights of the Byron hinterland.
• A long lunch on the Clarence River.
• An indulgent lunch in The Spotted Pig’s charming church in Lindendale.
• A special five-course degustation dinner at Hotel Illawong in Evans Head.
• Taverna’s Harvest luncheon on the beach at Kingscliff.
• A Food Photography and Social Media Workshop with award-winning photography superstar, Nelly le Comte.
• Mount Warning Tours Sunset Cruise on the Tweed River.
• A long-table dinner, under the stars, in Kyogle’s amphitheatre.
• Bombay Cricketer’s Club Harvest luncheon, in Casuarina.
• Night food market at M|Arts in Murwillumbah
The Harvest Autumn Fair returns on Saturday 9 May, a family friendly event focused on educating kids about where their food comes from. Think fabulous food festival meets country fair! Featuring on-the-farm cooking demonstrations and masterclasses, food competitions, music, animals and fun kids activities throughout the day. There’ll be something for everyone. Also, with sustainability always a focus, this year’s festival will again be a Zero Food Waste event, with zero waste being sent to landfill.
The 2020 program will be launched with tickets on sale from mid March. Sign up now for Harvest Festival news at www.northernriversfood.org or follow us at www.facebook.com/harvestfoodfest