Queensland to close border – it’s Facebook official

Is this the official government press release? Image from Facebook.

As Facebook becomes the new government news service, Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk MP announced yesterday via social media that the Queensland border is about to close.

Her post says simply: ‘Queensland’s border closure will take effect at midnight on Wednesday,’ said Ms Palaszczuk  in the post.

‘The Queensland Disaster Management Committee will meet tomorrow to finalise details – including exemptions – and more detail will be released at that time. #coronavirus.’

Strangely, neither the Queensland government website nor Ms Palaszczuk’s official website have anything at all on the closure, in fact, her last public statement on her official website was made on March 16.

The only written statement seems to be on social media. At least it’s Facebook official.

The same announcement was also made on Twitter.

Support the The Echo

15 responses to “Queensland to close border – it’s Facebook official”

1. Roger Graf says:

Called The Premiers office of QLD [0737197000] and the earliest release of Cross Border information is sometime later this afternoon/evening.

2. Bruce Garnett says:

I do not understand the decision to close state borders. This is Australia, not a bunch of colonies! Australia is an island so we are already better placed than most of the world.

I smacks of a state version of panic buying of toilet paper! A state who fears their hospitals may not cope with the rush of patients so they want to make sure Australians from NSW or NT don’t make things worse in Queensland.

We are all in this together. We should pull together, look after each other, not go our own way.

Be nice to each other Australians! This is not a time for ‘me first’.

3. Bruce Garnett says:

It smacks of a state version of panic buying of toilet paper! A state who fears their hospitals may not cope with the rush of patients so they want to make sure Australians from NSW or NT don’t make things worse in Queensland.

Be nice to each other Australians! This is not a time for ‘me first’.

4. Robin Anscomb says:

UMM. WRONG. WE ARE “A BUNCH OF COLONIES”. Each State and Territory has its own legislation. When I last looked there were 17 ( yep, 17) quite separate Jurisdictions.

5. …The QLD Premier could have done better
    had she called for the closing of the Adani
    mine along with the ‘pending’ others. An
    x-Queenslander by choice.

6. Gordon Balfour Haynes says:

At least if the Qld border is closed we locals might have some respite from those hopelessly incompetent Qld drivers on our roads. LOL Gotta be an upside to it somewhere among the mess.

7. Stephen Davis says:

I wonder what part of “….intercourse between the states shall be absolutely free…..” from section 92 of the constitution they do not understand

8. Ross Allan says:

I totally agree with you, Bruce. It was bad enough to read about & see the ‘me first’ generations at work on the beaches and in the cafés & bars. This type of selfish behaviour was a major contributor the the last round of lock-downs. And the Qld govt now follows? Typical.

9. Mike says:

Great news, now we get our towns back from the ever increasing interstate hordes who destroy our roads, crowd the beaches and fill the car parks, effectively blocking out rate payers who have to foot the bill.
    Covid 19 upside is the panacea to “over tourism” we have been looking for.

10. Glenn Mellross says:

She does not understand the long term damage to the Gold Coast tourism this crazy policy will have.
    Why would any one from NSW want to come to the Gold Coast again after being treated so badly.

11. john a VANDENBROEK says:

a bit harsh ,but you forget most qld drivers are originaly from nsw, vic!

12. Emma says:

I’ve searched the Internet for ages looking for a clear statement about what this means for people and I can’t seem to find anything that is specific enough, even on the Qld Gov’t site. I was born and raised in the Byron Shire, all my immediate family lives there, yet I moved to Brisbane for uni and work. No idea how this is gonna affect me… Assuming it means I can’t go and see my own mum for who knows how long? I know others will have it far worse but this is freaking me out tbh.

13. Roger Graf says:

Hi Emma,
    Go to: http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2020/3/24/border-control-slows-virus-spread which explains your needs, especially; Exemptions include:
    Freight
    Emergency vehicles
    Emergency workers
    Those travelling to and from work
    Court orders including family court
    Compassionate grounds
    Medical treatment
    and; Police are developing methods to identify vehicles in border communities to make frequent essential border crossings easier – such as a permit.

14. jade gale says:

i thought federation put a stop to this

15. ed says:

Let’s hope Queensland keep their border shut permanently.. and make sure Pauline Hanson is in there.. lock and throw the key away.. so no Queenslanders cannot escape to Sydney