Kim Sporton & Hans Lovejoy
Strong resistance is growing from the business community who are in close proximity to a proposed 5G upgrade at 8 Acacia Street in the Arts & Industry Estate.
A rally is planned on October 20 from 11am at Jing Organics in the Arts & Industry Estate. Guest speakers include actress Isabel Lucas.
Submissions around the tower upgrade have been extended until October 28, according to Telstra.
These can be sent to: [email protected] or by phone 0437 600 895.
It comes as two daycare centres – located within 500m of the proposal – voiced their strong opposition in The Echo last week.
Yet the Downer Group representative who is collating public submissions is yet to reply to The Echo regarding questions put by resident Emma Baker.
She requested Telstra’s Duty of Care policy, and asked if there is a Telstra Public Liability Insurance document available, ‘and if so, does it refer to exposing children to EMR?’
Telstra’s acting regional general manager, meanwhile, said in a statement they take their ‘responsibilities regarding the health and safety of our customers and the community very seriously’.
Josh Fulwood said, ‘Just to reassure the local community that 5G is similar to both 4G and 3G, when it comes to EMR levels, and both these technologies have been in operation in Byron Bay for many years’.
He said anyone seeking details about Telstra’s rollout of new mobile base stations could find further information at www.rfnsa.com.au.
But that hasn’t allayed fears of those most affected by the proposal, with some local businesses urging a boycott of local landowners who allow mobile phone base stations on their property in exchange for cash from telcos.
Devastated by sell out
‘We are devastated by this sell out,’ says long time Byron resident, and mother of four, Claire.
Claire’s husband, Trip A Deal CEO Richard, who has up to 120 staff, says, ‘The bottom line is, we didn’t ask for it, and we don’t need it.
‘Our internet already works fine here, and there is not enough independent research on this controversial new technology for us to take the risk of a new untested technology that is raising questions world wide.
‘We find it unacceptable that a telco company can go over the top of both Council and residents’ wishes by exploiting government loopholes and… throwing up huge, unsightly, unwanted towers in our town… [These are] towers that can have potentially catastrophic health outcomes for us, and the entire ecosystem’, said Claire.
Northern Rivers for Safe Technology representatives say a poll conducted last week showed 100 per cent of the 30 businesses approached in close proximity did not support 5G. Multiple attempts to contact the landowner, Warren Simmons, were unsuccessful.