The inquest into that began in Ballina on Tuesday into the shooting death of Indigenous man Dwayne Johnstone outside Lismore Base Hospital in March 2019 has been suspended.
Mr Johnstone, a 43-year-old Wiradjuri man, was handcuffed and shackled when he was shot in the back as he tried to escape.
According to reports at the time, ‘The male inmate assaulted one of two officers and attempted to run away as he was being led from the hospital following treatment at about 7.30pm, Friday 15 March’.
Mr Johnstone ‘received immediate treatment by paramedics’ for the single shot wound but died two hours later.
According to The Guardian report, ‘State coroner Teresa O’Sullivan suspended the inquest on Thursday after referring a known person to the NSW director of public prosecutions…
‘Johnstone had been taken into custody earlier in the day after being denied bail for assault charges.
‘He suffered from epilepsy and appeared to have a seizure in the cells at Lismore local court in the afternoon.
‘Johnstone had disclosed childhood sexual abuse at school and in state care to his parents and was participating in a civil claim against a boys’ home at the time of his death, Dwyer said.
‘“There is little doubt that those traumas impacted deeply upon Dwayne in his adult life,” she [O’Sullivan] said.
“He was a father who was much loved by his parents and siblings, and was funny and warm,” she said.’