The people of Ballina and surrounds have until Monday 30 November to nominate people who are doing extraordinary things in their community.
Ballina Mayor David Wright said, ‘Each year we host the Australia Day Awards, and I’m always delighted to hear the stories of the nominated individuals and groups who make Ballina Shire such a positive and connected community.
‘These people are often quiet achievers, but through their efforts and achievements they strengthen our community. They also help to promote and act as ambassadors for Ballina Shire,’ said Mayor Wright.
‘Even in these challenging times, people are going to extraordinary lengths to help others in need and overcome obstacles to pursue their passions,’ he added.
This year there are seven categories to recognise positive contributions to the community, sports, environment and the arts.
- Young Citizen (under 30 years of age) making a significant contribution to Ballina Shire.
- Senior Citizen (over 60 years of age) making a significant contribution to Ballina Shire.
- Volunteer of the Year for an individual working tirelessly behind the scenes to support an organisation’s activities.
- Sports Achievement for a team or individual who has excelled and represented their chosen sport at a local, regional, state, national or international level. Nominations can also be sports administrators who have made a significant contribution to sport.
- Arts and Culture Award for an individual who has made a significant contribution to the creative arts.
- Community Event of the Year for an individual or group who has staged an outstanding community event during 2020.
- Environmental Award for an individual or group contributing to our environmental preservation or advancing environmental awareness within the Ballina Shire.
The Citizen of the Year will be selected by the Australia Day Committee from all the nominees across the seven categories.
To nominate someone special, please visit ballina.nsw.gov.au/AustraliaDay or contact the Council’s communications team on 1300 864 444.
Nominations close Monday 30 November 2020.