Update Tuesday, December 15, 4.20am
The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted possible flooding for the Tweed River at South Murwillumbah and surrounding areas.
As a result, businesses, residents and visitors to these areas should take action now to prepare for possible flood impacts.
NSW SES is advising residents in low lying areas of the following locations that they may need to evacuate due to rising flood water.
These areas include:
• Low lying areas of South Murwillumbah residential and industrial estates
• Greenhills Caravan Park
• Residential and business areas bounded by the Tweed River, the railway line, Alma Street and the southern end of Wardrop Street and Railway Street
• Tweed Valley Way between Mistral Road and Rose Lane.
Low lying properties may experience impacts due to flash flooding and/or riverine flooding.
Storm and flood impacts may interrupt essential services such as electricity, phones, internet, water and sewerage.
People in these areas need to closely monitor weather and road closures and make informed decisions early based on individual circumstances.
Residents should monitor the situation as it is changing rapidly and be prepared to evacuate when instructed to do so.
A Flood Evacuation Order will be issued by the NSW SES if and when evacuations are required.
If you are leaving early: Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements
What to expect
Once floodwater begins inundating the area, road access may be cut. If you remain in the area
after this time, you may become trapped and it may be too dangerous for NSW SES to rescue you.
What you need to do – Simple things you can do now:
• Lift possessions and important items above the predicted flood height.
• Take pets, essential items, warm clothes, medicines, insurance documents and valuables with you.
• Leave as early as possible to avoid restricted roads.
• Share this information with family, friends and neighbours and help others where possible
For more information on:
• For the latest information listen to your local ABC radio station
• Follow us on Facebook at /NSWSES or our website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
• Latest Weather, Warnings, Rainfall and River heights: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/
• Road Closures: www.livetraffic.com.au or http://www.myroadinfo.com.au
• Tweed Shire Council Emergency Dashboard https://emergency.tweed.nsw.gov.au/
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. In
life threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.