Police say a man will face court after allegedly leading officers on a pursuit in this morning.
Shortly before 10.15am today (Friday, 15 January), Officers attached to Richmond Police District were notified after a white Mitsubishi Mirage was stolen near a shopping centre on Kerr Street, Ballina.
Officers located the vehicle and initiated a pursuit which was terminated a short time later due to the dangerous manner of driving.
About 10 minutes later, the Mitsubishi was abandoned when the driver allegedly attempted to carjack a second vehicle before stealing a nearby Kia Rio.
Police will allege the Kia Rio continued to drive in an erratic and dangerous manner for two hours through several suburbs, including Ballina, Alstonville, Goonellabah and Lismore.
It is further alleged the driver continued onto the wrong side of the road and drove onto the footpath in the path of pedestrians at several occasions. It’s understood the Kia Rio was involved in numerous minor collisions during this two-hour period – there are no reports of injuries to members of the public.
A number of pursuits were initiated and road spikes deployed by officers from Richmond Police District and the Traffic and Highway Patrol, before the Kia Rio was located abandoned and crashed into a fence at Ravenswood Drive, Goonellabah.
Officers from Richmond Police District and the Police Dog Unit established a perimeter to locate the driver.
About 12.40pm, officers located and arrested a man on Bellara Court, Goonellabah while he was allegedly attempting to steal two other vehicles.
He is currently at Lismore Police Station where he was charged with;
• Take & drive conveyance w/o consent of owner (four counts)
• Agg take/drive m/v with person in/on it-inflict ABH
• Never licensed person drive vehicle on road – prior offence
• Police pursuit – not stop – drive dangerously (two counts)
• Aggravated robbery and use corporal violence
• Aggravated enter dwelling w/i – inflict ABH-SI
• Resist or hinder police officer in the execution of duty (two counts)
• Possess prohibited drug
• Drive recklessly/furiously or speed/manner dangerous
The man , a Ballina resident, was refused bail to appear at Lismore Local Court tomorrow (Saturday, 16 January ).