The Bureau of Meteorology has predicted possible flooding along the Wilsons River for the Lismore CBD Basin, and the low lying parts of East Lismore and Girards Hill and surrounding areas.
As a result residents and visitors to these areas should take action now to prepare for possible flood impacts.
NSW SES is advising residents in low lying areas of the following locations that they may need to evacuation due to rising flood water. These areas include:
• The Lismore Tourist Caravan Park and adjacent businesses along Dawson Street
• Businesses in the in the Lower Lismore CBD Basin areas of Dawson Street, Woodlark Street and Larkin Lane Lismore and Brewster St
• The low lying properties near the Ballina Road and Keen Street intersection, and the low lying areas around East Lismore and Girards Hill
Low lying properties may experience impacts due to flash flooding and/or riverine flooding.
Storm and flood impacts may interrupt essential services such as electricity, phones, internet, water and sewerage.
People in these areas need to closely monitor weather and road closures and make informed decisions early based on individual circumstances.
Residents should monitor the situation and be prepared to evacuate when instructed to do so.
A Flood Evacuation Order will be issued by the NSW SES if and when evacuations are required.
Where to go if Evacuation is required: Wherever possible, people should go and stay with family or friends, or make other accommodation arrangements. If you are unable to, an evacuation centre has been set up at the following.
• Southern Cross University, Military Road, Lismore
What we are expecting:
Once floodwater begins inundating the area, road access may be cut. If you remain in the area after this time, you may become trapped and it may be too dangerous for NSW SES to rescue you.
What you need to do:
Simple things you can do now:
• Lift possessions and important items above the predicted flood height.
• Take pets, essential items, warm clothes, medicines, insurance documents and valuables
• Leave as early as possible to avoid restricted roads.
• Share this information with family, friends and neighbours and help others where possible
For more information on:
• For the latest information listen to your local ABC radio station,
• Follow us on Facebook at /NSWSES or our website at www.ses.nsw.gov.au
• Latest Weather, Warnings, Rainfall and River heights: www.bom.gov.au/nsw/
• Road Closures: www.livetraffic.com.au or http://www.myroadinfo.com.au
• Lismore City Council https://disaster.lismore.nsw.gov.au
For emergency help in floods and storms, call the NSW State Emergency Service on 132 500. In life threatening situations call triple zero (000) immediately.