18.2 C
Byron Shire
May 19, 2022

Developers request to build manufactured homes onsite in Tweed refused

Latest News

Storylines – Stop the rot and take action

Having spent a long time reflecting on the last 13 weeks since the floods devastated our region, many important issues have come to my attention – loss of homes, possessions, safety, schools suspended from flooding, chaos, death, loss of animals, extreme anxiety and desperation, and so much more.

Other News

What happens after two years?

The recent floods have left many people homeless. Trying to address this problem, local councils have waived some of...

Wallaby death SGB

To the family that allowed their large black dog to repeatedly attack and maul the beautiful wallaby on South...

2022 Community Building Partnership Program

Lismore MP Janelle Saffin is encouraging local not-for-profit groups and councils to apply for their share of $400,000 in grants under the 2022 Community Building Partnership Program.

Temporary accommodation sites for flood-affected communities

The New South Wales Government has this just announced nine temporary accommodation sites across the Northern Rivers region to house flood-affected residents, with more to come.

Fighting food waste

Did you know that wasting food is a greater contributor (6 per cent) to total greenhouse gas emissions than...

Harm Labor

Much as I respect Richard Jones’ opinions on many things, I can’t agree with his conclusion last week (‘Election...

Requests for a review of conditions in relation to the building and further development of manufactured homes at 30 Fraser Drive, Tweed Heads South were both refused at last week’s Tweed Shire planning meeting. 

The first of the two requests was for a variation of the condition of consent to allow the manufactured homes for sites 39, 40 and 85 to 96 to be built onsite.

Cr Polglase once again argued for allowing the manufactured homes to be built onsite.

Mayor Chris Cherry (Independent) put the motion not to support the change to the conditions which was seconded by councillor Noal Firth (Greens).

‘The motion is that we continue to uphold the exclusion. So that we are not supporting to review those conditions, or any changes to those conditions,’ said Mayor Cherry. 

‘There is an approval here that has been made. When we gave that approval we considered the impacts of the construction of the manufactured homes on-site and offsite. 

‘The issue is that we have a duty of care to protect the amenity of the residents that are around this park. Under section 82 reviews council can only grant a variation if the council is satisfied that the variation is well-grounded. From reading the report it is pretty obvious that we are not satisfied. I think that the definition of being well-founded is “if council is satisfied that no person, or person of interest, will be adversely affected by the variation”. That’s the key point in this consideration. I think that the homes that are built close to sites 85 to 96 and sites 39 and 40 are within a very, very short distance, I think the closest is within four metres of these house sites. To have those constructed right there is a very big consideration. That’s why we do have as part of the regulation of manufacturer homes off-site, it is to protect the amenity of the people around. I think it is really important that we uphold that. 

‘It is quite clear from the report that the mitigation measures that have been put in place are not going to provide adequate noise attenuation, at best five decibels. The report says where the construction works are above the height of the fence then they provide none at all. Unfortunately, the variation request is not well-founded and can’t be supported at this point.’

However, councillor Warren Polglase disagreed pointing out that the site has already had five months of ‘bulldozers and front end loaders running around this site’.

‘The site has been filled, and there has been block work been done and footings laid. So to talk about the noise factor. It is the opinion by council officers that there is a noise factor building homes. Well, there has been more noise being created by the activity of the construction of the site than what there would be building the homes.’

Councillor Polglase went on to point out that in other construction projects neighbours had no choice but to put up with the noise and that was why there were regulations around the hours construction could take place on any given site. 

Risk of further action?

‘I really can’t see how the issue that is being spoken here is going to create a lot of noise, in conjunction with what has been happening on the site in the present,’ said Cr Polglase. 

‘I would suggest to council in making this determination and they should give valid reasons why they don’t support it because you don’t know where this may finish up.’

When questioned about the requirement by law for reasons of rejecting the request staff told Mayor Cherry that there was no such requirement. 

Fire and noise regs

The second request by the developers of the manufactured home estate related to the inclusion of pergolas that required variations to site coverage, open space and site boundary arrangements. 

Mayor Cherry once again move a motion not to support the variation request seconded by councillor Merideth Dennis (Independent). 

‘The idea of site coverage is that we do allow sufficient space between setups. The request is that we allow them to put pergolas, that are moveable or openable rooves that are attached to the homes,’ explained Mayor Cherry. 

‘Unfortunately, they provide zero setbacks to the next site. I do believe that in terms of fire regulations and noise amenity impacts this is not something I can support.’

Both motions saw councillor Polglase vote against and support the developer’s requests. Deputy Mayor Reece Byrnes was absent from the meeting and the rest of the councillors supported the motion.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Review of community response called for as challenges recognised

Local community members stepped forward to help coordinate and respond to the disaster; from people getting into boats and kayaks recusing strangers in Lismore to coordinating local response hubs in the hinterland and local towns. But it wasn't all a bed of roses.

$17m in funds for work on crown lands in NSW

If you are involved in managing crown reserve land and facilities then now is the time to get that application in for a share of the $27 million that is available fro the 2022-3 funding round. 

Interviews with Richmond candidates 2022: Liberal Democrats Party candidate Gary Biggs

Gary Biggs lives in the Tweed Shire and owns a small business. He is running as a candidate for the Liberal Democrats Party in the federal seat of Richmond.

A positive change for Bruns River

With the floods still on the mind of those impacted in the Shire’s north, a local charity and its partners have launched an interactive online map of the Brunswick River to raise awareness and hopefully bring it back to full health.