14.1 C
Byron Shire
September 29, 2022

Splendour GM defends washed out event

Latest News

It is a weekend of excitement, fun and laughter for everyone at the National Circus Festival

It truly is like stepping into another world as you enter The Famous Spiegeltent which is here for the National Circus Festival that is taking place this weekend in Mullumbimby before it once again heads off around the world.

Other News

NSW gov’t accused of ‘pork barrelling’ in Ballina electorate

As people on the Northern Rivers last week endured the anxiety of severe storm warnings and pre-dawn emergency alerts, a visit from the state’s emergency services minister was barely announced.

Mystery of the gospel

The word gospel means ‘good news’, and I wondered why with so many people seemingly doomed forever. Can you...

GG, Bob Carr, and Morrison

Back page note (7 September) from Bob Carr that the Governor-General (GG) got $18m from Morrison at the same...

Will degrowth be forced upon us?

For decades, we have been engaged in the old cold war battle between capitalism and communism.

Sherril claims open singles bowls championship

Sherril Pearce had the best of the day, beating Lorraine ‘Blossom’ McCormick 25–12 to win the open singles championship...

Byron Music Society’s Big Sing

Byron Music Society presents ‘A German Requiem by Johannes Brahms’ (Ein Deutsches Requiem), recognised as one of the greatest...

The serious traffic safety issues at this year’s Splendour in the Grass festival were not a result of increased patron numbers, but a confluence of unforeseen circumstances, festival organisers say.

But demands for significant changes to the event are continuing, including a reduction in capacity. 

In an address to last week’s Byron Council meeting, Splendour’s General Manager, Elise Huntley, acknowledged that there were ‘significant failings’ during the event and that there was ‘a lot of work to do to restore good will’.

However, Ms Huntley denied that the issues warranted a reduction in numbers, or a far-reaching independent investigation as some have demanded.

‘We acknowledge that there were significant failings, specifically in relation to traffic on Thursday July 21, that caused unacceptable impacts to the community,’ Ms Huntley told councillors.

‘We accept responsibility for these, and are devastated by what occurred and the impact on the community.’

Weather blamed

But Ms Huntley said the traffic issues, which saw buses and cars queued back onto the Pacific Highway in breach of the venue’s consent conditions, were not the result of the scale of festival but predominantly the result of ‘adverse weather conditions’.

‘Thursday is the main arrival day for campers and the number of people onsite at that time is significantly below capacity,’ she said.

‘The number of patrons in attendance on Thursday was in line with, or less than, patron numbers and arrivals to the event in 2019, 2018 and other years prior.’

But independent councillor, Peter Westheimer, said this explanation was not satisfactory.

‘For you to say that it’s just a bad weather event, doesn’t cut it for me,’ he said.

‘We have to plan for the worst possible scenario, because this type of weather is going to happen again.

‘Really, with all the problems that there were – e.g. people waiting 12 hours to get in and then being given a flooded campsite – can you really make good on your promise that this won’t happen again?’

Attendance numbers steadily increasing

Attendance numbers at the festival have been steadily increasing in recent years in line with a controversial amendment to the venue’s consent conditions, passed in 2019. The capacity limit for this year’s event hit 50,000 for the first time, though Ms Huntley put the figure at closer to 45,000, owing to a higher-than-usual attrition rate.

Meanwhile, Kathy Norley from the South Golden Beach Community Organisation, told the meeting, ‘If there’s a rain event, you can’t get the patrons off that site – you can’t even get the cars off the site’.

‘The numbers either have to go down, or the event has to be sent somewhere else, like Woodford.’

Ms Huntley promised to introduce a series of measures to address the traffic safety issues at next year’s event, including using the second entrance to the camping area at the north of the festival site, which organisers chose not to operate this year.

Industry leaders

The parking area on the site will also be extended in accordance with another approved modification to the venue’s development consent.

Ms Huntley concluded her speech by declaring that the Splendour organising team was ‘recognised on a global scale as industry leaders’.


Support The Echo

Keeping the community together and the community voice loud and clear is what The Echo is about. More than ever we need your help to keep this voice alive and thriving in the community.

Like all businesses we are struggling to keep food on the table of all our local and hard working journalists, artists, sales, delivery and drudges who keep the news coming out to you both in the newspaper and online. If you can spare a few dollars a week – or maybe more – we would appreciate all the support you are able to give to keep the voice of independent, local journalism alive.

4 COMMENTS

  1. Why are there people in this shire who just complain about every little thing.

    Many so called progressives or greens in this shire are the most conservative, anti-fun, do nothing except have a cry type people I have ever met in the world.

    I grew up here since the 1970s have witnessed the loud members in the community slowly degrade into a cesspool of entitled, self-centred wingers.

    If you want a good protest, spend your energy against the fossil fuel corps and murdoch media not a festival that is doing a world class regeneration project on that site, previously a sugar cane farm, I notice this is never raised its just all negativity.

  2. A confluence of absolutely foreseeable events, more double speak and dissembling from the mis-managers of the event, she should become a politician. Of course they don’t want an independent investigation.

  3. If this fiasco is the outcome of “industry leaders” Ms Huntley, then the obvious inference is that the ‘industry’ must be banned.
    Then as a bare minimum ” a far-reaching independent investigation” is obviously necessary, people died !
    Criminal negligence and possibly manslaughter charges could be levelled at those responsible.
    Cheers, G”)

  4. Might be one thing for others to recognise leadership, but when you recognise yourself, well…mmm. Not sure I need to explain or if you will get it if I do.

    Want to get some good will back in the community?

    Try letting parents drop off/ pick up their kids for a start.

    To date, when coin versus common sense and care, you can count on coin.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Iron Gates developer launches appeal against DA refusal at Evans Head

It is a saga that has been going on for over 30 years and that some hoped might finally have come to an end. But that is not to be the case with an appeal against the refusal of the Iron Gates development application (DA) at Evans Head now having been submitted.

Consideration of state significant farmland for SUGA development leaves bitter taste

One of Ballina Shire Council’s independents is continuing to argue against suggested expansions of development between the plateau villages of Alstonville and Wollongbar.

Editorial – Break out the bubbly for Budget Estimates

Budget Estimates is truly one of the most revealing and best educational services that the NSW government offers. MPs from the opposition grill ministers and agency bosses without mercy, for hours. 

Businesses launch campaign against holiday let policy

Businesses who say they would be adversely impacted by Council’s proposal to cap holiday letting to 90 days have gone on the offensive by launching a PR campaign.